Answered

S1 app stopped working after new router / doesn't see older speakers

Badge +1

Hi there,

I’ve seen this topic in a few places but none that I have seen an answer to resolve. 

Basically, I have three Play 5s (first gen) that only work on the S1 app, and a number of other speakers that work on the S2. When S2 came out, I was able to create the split networks so I could run the Play5s with S1 and the rest with S2.

I recently installed a Google Mesh router and was able to get all the new speakers working fine with the S2, however, when I try to launch the S1 and connect, I get a message saying to use S2 and it won’t let me do anything else. 

Here’s what I have done: 

• Powered down all speakers and reset
  • Tried to set up a new system with the S1, but the app can’t find the Play 5s
  • Disconnected my Boost and hardwired a Play5 into the router but still can’t find speakers
  • Factory reset the Boost
  • Tried to set up the Play 5s on the S2

Nothing is working to find the old Play5s and I’m losing my mind! It all worked fine before.

ANY help would be appreciated. I will likely submit a diagnostics and contact support as I’m at my wit’s end. 

Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Mark_307 3 May 2021, 23:11

Hi @Corry P ,

Thanks for the quick response! 

I completely disconnected and removed the old router. It was a Netgear CM7000. I’m just running the Google Nest Wifi now. However, I think I figured it out. 

I did try to connect the Play:5 directly to the router, but it still couldn’t find the product. Sounds like you were able to peek into my system, so I appreciate that.

What I did try (and seemed to work for two of the speakers) was factory reset them. Then reset the app and created a new system. 

I haven’t tried to reset the third speaker yet, but am confident that will do the trick. Then I can use the S1 to play the trio of Play:5s and the S2 for the rest. 

So far, all good! Thanks again for the quick help! 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Mark_307 

Thanks for your post!

Do you still have your old router? If so, you may need to prevent it from trying to run your network, as it can be difficult to persuade Google Mesh to stop doing so. I would try with Google first though, in case it works. Instructions for putting Google Mesh into Bridge/AP mode can be found here: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987. You should reboot your router afterwards.

Connecting a Play:5 to a Google node with ethernet instead of to your router may help things, but only if you can’t complete the steps above.

For what it’s worth, 2 of your Play:5 gen 1s are currently online - if you can’t connect to them, then network configuration (not WiFi) is the likely path to a fix.

Which router do you have?

Badge +1

Hi @Corry P ,

Thanks for the quick response! 

I completely disconnected and removed the old router. It was a Netgear CM7000. I’m just running the Google Nest Wifi now. However, I think I figured it out. 

I did try to connect the Play:5 directly to the router, but it still couldn’t find the product. Sounds like you were able to peek into my system, so I appreciate that.

What I did try (and seemed to work for two of the speakers) was factory reset them. Then reset the app and created a new system. 

I haven’t tried to reset the third speaker yet, but am confident that will do the trick. Then I can use the S1 to play the trio of Play:5s and the S2 for the rest. 

So far, all good! Thanks again for the quick help! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Mark_307 

That would certainly explain why 1 Play:5 wasn’t on the same system as the rest!

I’m glad to hear you’ve got things sorted out. Happy listening!

You’re very welcome!