Routers w/ USB storage?

Hey folks!

I'm planning on migrating my audio collection to some sort of network attached storage solution so I don't have to have my compy on all day every day. As it were, I'm also planning on getting a new router in the relatively near future.

To the point: if I get a router that supports USB storage devices (such as the Asus RT-AC66U), will it work with Sonos to connect a USB hard drive directly to the router? Or would I just be better off getting a dedicated NAS device (like a linkstation)?

Thanks for your help!

2 replies

My music plays just fine from a USB HDD connected to my router. But the standard recommendation seems to be a independently powered HDD wired to the router via ethernet cable. This is probably a requirement if you want to stream different music files to different Sonos units at the same time from the HDD.
I went with the USB solution because I had a spare HDD lying around, and I like to not have another device needing its separate power.
Userlevel 2
These days USB sticks are getting bigger and might serve the purpose as well as or better than a hard drive.

I would not put a full-on media file server (serving up HD videos, etc.) to a router's USB port. But for Sonos? I think it would work fine.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings