Roku + Sonos Amp + Epson Projector

• 2 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello!

I have an Epson cinema projector and a Sonos Soundbar, Sub and a few in ceiling speakers. The challenge is that the projector doesn’t provide HDMI pass through. I am considering purchasing a Sonos Amp to connect all of the speakers. I was wondering if anyone has had positive experience using a Roku and running an HDMI splitter out of it to send signals to a projector and an amplifier separately?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not all of the roku sticks produce dolby digital, I believe only the Ultra version does. That should work fine with a splitter. I'm not quite sure why you are looking to switch out the playbar with a sonos amp though. You would need to use optical for your scenario and both can handle that. Are you intending to use the the ceiling speaker as your front left and right speakers?
@melvimbe correct- I am looking to use the ceiling speakers (wired) as my surround speakers and the Playbar as center.

Ill look inti the Roku Ultra! Thanks-
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@melvimbe correct- I am looking to use the ceiling speakers (wired) as my surround speakers and the Playbar as center.

Ill look inti the Roku Ultra! Thanks-

For that case then, the playbar will be connected to the TV, and a Sonos amp or Connect amp would be bonded to it, same way your sub is/will be. The Connect amp is a good fit for surround duties, but is no longer sold by Sonos and will need to be wired (ethernet) to the playbar directly, or by way of a router/switch. The Sonos amp doesn't need to be wired.
And, the PLAYBAR can not be used as a center speaker. It always contains left, right and center.