Roam disappointments

• 29 April 2022
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I have very similar sentiment as this post; however, the post was not able to be commented on so that is weird.

I was really excited to receive the roam to extend my music to the other rooms - but am as much more disappointed of its functionality. It doesn’t keep the charging - turns on and off without instruction and is hard to get connected when needed. Quite annoying and demotivating for such an investment - knowing there are other and cheaper loudspeaker systems. As much as I am impressed by the beam the roam is a flop ... https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/roam-6858306

I was on the waitlist to get my Roam when they were first released and was really excited when it came; but since then I have had so many frustrations with it.

All other gripes aside (i.e. not being compatible with my wireless charger, the battery constantly dying even when I turn it off, sometimes turns on without instruction or connection) my biggest complaint is 1) How difficult my Roam is to send to BT connection mode and 2) actually connect the Roam to BT.

Since I got it, I have never gotten my Roam to connect to anything via BT on the first try. Sometimes when I press and hold the button, it goes into pairing mode for a fraction of a second and then skips pairing mode and just turns off. Sometimes it goes to pairing mode, but never pairs. Sometimes when I am off of my home network and on the go (as my Roam was built for) the light is just solid white, and I am not able to connect it via BT at all. Several times after I have brought the Roam back home, I have to re-add it to my home system though the app.

Honestly, it is exhausting to use. For example, it takes so many attempts to connect to my Audio Technica AT-LP60XBT I often give up or connecting it to a my WonderBoom 2 BT speaker on the first try (so I know it is not the AT device’s BT). I have the same situation when trying to connect to my iPhone 12. I have done all the resets, added back to my system, updated all I could in the app, and been on chat support so many times for related issues, but it is never fully resolved and I don’t have time or energy to keep reaching out for the same thing. I honestly think it is defective, but can never get to that point with support.

Wondering if anyone else has had these issues and what they have done. I am also curious what Sonos Staff say.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have very similar sentiment as this post; however, the post was not able to be commented on so that is weird.

I was really excited to receive the roam to extend my music to the other rooms - but am as much more disappointed of its functionality. It doesn’t keep the charging - turns on and off without instruction and is hard to get connected when needed. Quite annoying and demotivating for such an investment - knowing there are other and cheaper loudspeaker systems. As much as I am impressed by the beam the roam is a flop ... https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/roam-6858306

I was on the waitlist to get my Roam when they were first released and was really excited when it came; but since then I have had so many frustrations with it.

All other gripes aside (i.e. not being compatible with my wireless charger, the battery constantly dying even when I turn it off, sometimes turns on without instruction or connection)

Maybe try enabling the ‘battery saver’ feature - see this LINK. The wireless charger issues are worth resolving too. I recommend using the official Sonos Qi charger.

my biggest complaint is 1) How difficult my Roam is to send to BT connection mode and 2) actually connect the Roam to BT.

Since I got it, I have never gotten my Roam to connect to anything via BT on the first try. Sometimes when I press and hold the button, it goes into pairing mode for a fraction of a second and then skips pairing mode and just turns off. Sometimes it goes to pairing mode, but never pairs. Sometimes when I am off of my home network and on the go (as my Roam was built for) the light is just solid white, and I am not able to connect it via BT at all. Several times after I have brought the Roam back home, I have to re-add it to my home system though the app.

This unfortunately sounds a little bit like user error with how the Roam works with BT  - maybe try this, BT pair your Roam to your mobile device and then after that simply use your mobile device Bluetooth list to connect/disconnect the Roam over BT - you don’t actually need to use the Roam’s rear power button on the speaker, unless you’re looking to pair/re-pair the Roam to another mobile device. So connect/disconnect using your mobile device only instead.

Honestly, it is exhausting to use. For example, it takes so many attempts to connect to my Audio Technica AT-LP60XBT I often give up or connecting it to a my WonderBoom 2 BT speaker on the first try (so I know it is not the AT device’s BT). I have the same situation when trying to connect to my iPhone 12. I have done all the resets, added back to my system, updated all I could in the app, and been on chat support so many times for related issues, but it is never fully resolved and I don’t have time or energy to keep reaching out for the same thing. I honestly think it is defective, but can never get to that point with support.

Wondering if anyone else has had these issues and what they have done. I am also curious what Sonos Staff say.

Some Turntables and devices have an assortment of Bluetooth profiles as mentioned here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles

Not all products may be compatible with each other for their BT pairing, it’s sometimes trial and error, but TT audio is quite demanding anyway so I would personally suggest using an Analog line-in to get your TT audio playing on Sonos devices as it will likely be a far more stable link to your speakers, but that said, it’s still worth perhaps persevering with it over a Roam Bluetooth link, but I would keep your speaker close-by your TT (within 5 feet at least).

Hope those things help to improve your experience with the Roam.

Same issues. But yet it’s all “user error” according to the experts.  Won’t be buying any more Sonos products.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

That's a running theme in the forum.

To be honest there's that many posts about the Roam it does seem there are some underlying issues with it.

A few have had a warranty replacement and the new unit has solved their issues.