Answered

Roam connecting to different network

• 2 September 2022
  • 4 replies

My Sonos set up consists of a Play3, two Play1s and Boost. I just got the Roam as I wanted to group it with everything else. 
My wifi has 3 options; normal, 5g and mesh

My existing Sonos all connects to normal and 5g. When setting up Roam it connected to the mesh. 
In the Sonos app I see either my existing devices (if I am connected to normal or 5g), or only the Roam (if connected to the mesh). At no point do I see all my devices and the Roam. 
This issue is preventing me from grouping the Roam with everything else (and that was the whole point in choosing the Roam). 
I cannot find a solution to this anywhere! Help please!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 September 2022, 12:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

My wifi has 3 options; normal, 5g and mesh

You’ll have to give some more detail. What make/model of router is it? Is the ‘mesh’ option a channel dedicated to backhaul?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AntonioC 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m just jumping in here with some very pertinent information that the community would only be able to guess: your Roam is currently set up as being a separate system from the rest of your Sonos units. The Sonos app can only connect to one system at a time, which is why you never see the Roam with the other units.

You will need to factory reset your Roam, get your Sonos app connected to your existing system and then add the Roam to it.

Add a new product to an existing Sonos system

I hope this helps.

@Corry P 

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried the factory reset numerous times. When I set up the Roam it always connects to my mesh regardless of what network my phone is connected to. I cannot find a way to connect it to the normal wifi network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AntonioC 

If you are using a Boost, then the rest of your system is not utilising WiFi, but using SonosNet created by the Boost.

I suspect that the system already has some WiFi credentials stored that it isn’t currently using, but when you add the Roam, those credentials will be shared with the Roam and it’s connecting using them.

Please ensure you have no credentials stored on the system when you start, and that should make the process go the way you intend.

Remove a WiFi network from your Sonos system

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

For your information, my tools now report your system as being one - the existing system and the Roam now indicate that they are on the same Household (Sonos System), though they are all offline. Perhaps you are rebooting your router?.

I hope this helps.