Answered

Roam and Android 7

• 20 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am thinking of buying a Roam and wondering if I will have any problems as my phone is Android 7.

Currently I have a Play:5 and two Play:1s controlled from my Android 7 phone and Windows 10 PC.  The S2 app on the phone works fine.  The only annoyance is the orange dot and the message “The OS on this device is no longer supported”.

If I understand the S2 app limitations correctly I think I may have to add the Roam manually on the phone and/or the PC.  Other than that will a Roam work with my set up?

Alan

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 April 2021, 14:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Android 7 is no longer actively supported by Sonos: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4779?language=en_US

The Roam will have to be set up on your Wi-Fi using the Sonos S2 app on a phone or tablet before you can use it. Because Android 7 is no longer actively supported, it may not allow you to do a software update on the Roam during the setup process.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Other than that will a Roam work with my set up?

The behaviour may depend on the exact release you are running, but on my Android 7 phone, the app will not let me do other things than the one you describe. So for example it will not allow me to initiate a scan of my music library - even though the phone app plays no active part in the scanning process - or to add a voice service, or another music radio station, or to change audio compression settings, or to change any of the network settings, or to Transfer System Ownership. This is a subset of the things Sonos won’t allow you to do any more from your phone.

So be warned - the app has been deliberately crippled for users of Android 7 and earlier.

You would need to get a hold of a supported mobile device to do setup  You can’t use a PC or mac.  Once you are setup though, normal playback operations can be done on Android 7.

Badge

Android 7 is no longer actively supported by Sonos: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4779?language=en_US

The Roam will have to be set up on your Wi-Fi using the Sonos S2 app on a phone or tablet before you can use it. Because Android 7 is no longer actively supported, it may not allow you to do a software update on the Roam during the setup process.

And am I correct in thinking that I cannot “S2 v13.0 Sonos Controller for PC” either?  I can’t see any “add device” options there, diasbled or otherwise!

Looks like I’ll have to buy a new phone!   Hah!  Thanks a bunch, Sonos.

Badge

I know where I stand now. 

Thanks all

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos follows Google in stopping support for certain OS versions. Your first complaint should be aimed a Google. Though I have to admit Sonos seems to follow Google a bit closer than some other manufacturers.