Question

Ripping CDs for use via Sonos Connect to DAC

• 13 May 2017
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Connect coming next week and I am interested in knowing what folks use for ripping CDs to a server. Or do I need a server as opposed to just a hard drive attached to my home wifi network?

I was looking at a Wyred 4 Sound music server. It rips the CD to its internal HDD as soon as you insert one. Is that overkill? I already have an external CD-DVD tray for my laptop. I can rip CDs today via iTunes to an external HDD. Is that all that Sonos Connect needs?

I like the idea though of a dedicated music server so I don't have to keep my laptop turned on all the time.

As you can probably see, I am new to this. I listen to a lot of LP records but have a huge CD collection that I would like to have on a server or HDD so I can stream it with the Sonos.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi Eric. My advice would be to forget the gimmicky and often expensive 'rip and store' devices. You need a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. WD My Cloud NAS devices are a pretty good budget option. You can even maintain your iTunes library on the WD.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to be playing the Connect through?
Thanks John. I will be running the digital output of the Sonos Connect into the digital input of my Music-Hall cd-dac-15.3.

I will look into these WD devices.

Thanks!

Eric
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have an old WD Live Ethernet connected hard drive as my Sonos music library storage device and it has been working for many years now. Aside from a monthly check for software updates and hitting the dust bunnies with a can of air it just works. It also offers an auto-power saver so that it goes to idle after a period of non-use.

I have used a variety of ripping programs, not all are equal so you might want to try several to see what fits your needs.

What I look for:

-- FLAC rip mode so I get full quality music on my WD Live drive. Make sure you rip to a Sonos supported format, bits and rate.

-- A good data lookup engine so I don't have to type in or even worse correct artist, album and track data.

-- Multi-core CPU support, it makes a big difference ripping using one core and 16. I borrowed a 16 core Xeon system for a big ripping project that saved me many hours. Worst case buy an old Dell clunker for $250 and set it aside for this type of task if you are ripping 100 plus CDs.

I either download the album art from Amazon or another website or if I must I scan the album cover locally. The Sonos rules for getting the art working with your system aren't complicated but need to be done right for it to work.

I have two backups of my ripped music, both in off-line storage. You really do not want to do this project twice. Doubly so if you ended up spending hours fixing up the data in your collection.

Once you have everything ripped to full quality FLAC run an MP3 converter on your collection (the Dell clunker is gold here) and spit out a lower quality but much smaller version of your collection for non-Sonos use. If you do it on a slow computer it will work too, just bring a good book to keep you occupied.
WD My Cloud NAS devices are a pretty good budget option. You can even maintain your iTunes library on the WD.

Exactly what I have done with my CDs ripped via the built in tray on my mac and it has worked flawlessly from day 1 for three years now. Backing up this effort to another HDD is alway recommended to not have to do this more than once. Now whenever I do buy music, it is via iTunes and the downloaded file just gets added to the WD NAS.