Ripping and playing CD's

I want to add a CD player to my Sonos system and at the same time have the option to rip and store the tracks. Any recommendations? Brennan B2 looks expensive but seems most compatible. Are there any other options that anyone can recommend?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I would avoid expensive, gimmicky and inflexible 'rip and store' devices like the Brennan. A basic NAS drive like those in the WD My Cloud range would be much better.

Do you have a computer?

Why do you want a CD player? Much easier to play from the NAS.
I agree; and if you must get a CD player for the transition while you rips CDs to the NAS, Sony DVD players are available for less than USD 50 now, that will do the job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
A laptop and iTunes must be the easiest way to rip cd's....
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
A laptop and iTunes must be the easiest way to rip cd's....Anything with I tunes is best avoided iMHO. iTunes on Windows is the spawn of the devil.
Brennan B2 looks expensive but seems most compatible. Are there any other options that anyone can recommend?

The Brennan seems very easy to use for ripping CDs, so I can understand the attraction. However, it's the most 'non-standard' solution, and one person posted here recently about tagging issues.

iTunes is also quite easy to use, but if you don't wish to be an iPerson then dbPoweramp is usually highly recommended. I use EAC (free) to rip and MP3tag (also free) to adjust the tags, if needed - they were recommended when I started ripping my CDs, so I just carried on with them. If I were starting again, then I'd probably use dbPoweramp.

Using a NAS instead of the Brennan means that you can use standard backup systems and also use the NAS for your own data, so it's the generally recommended course. It doesn't have to be hugely expensive, either.

It largely comes down to how much control you want over the process, how much effort you're prepared to put in and also how many CDs you have to rip.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I rip the CD to my PC and the Google Play Music uploads it. Sonos sees that. The PC is set to autorip so all I have to physically do is put the CD in the PC and it all happens automatically. Not a solution that everyone will be happy with but it works for me.
Totally agree with the contributions from @bockersjv and @Legnum Nick. FWIW, laptop, external DVD drive and dbpoweramp in my case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I rip the CD to my PC and the Google Play Music uploads it. Sonos sees that. The PC is set to autorip so all I have to physically do is put the CD in the PC and it all happens automatically. Not a solution that everyone will be happy with but it works for me.
Works for me as well, only trouble is I then got sucked into GPM pay account. Still it works great with sonos and no other hardware needed to buy/maintain/update etc
Hey everyone,

If you are looking for a way to turn your CDs, cassettes and vinyl into cloud albums that can be streamed via SONOS, check out Murfie. We rip member albums to the cloud for them to access anywhere they want. You can send us your albums, store them physically with us or have them sent home, and retain full digital access to exact audio copies in lossless format via platforms like SONOS. You can also purchase albums that are for sale on our marketplace to add to your collection or sell albums you don't listen to and make some extra cash to get some albums you've been wanting.

If you prefer to also get a backup of the digital files we can process your albums to a NAS or external HDD and send that back to you.

The Murfie Crew
You can also purchase albums that are for sale on our marketplace to add to your collection or sell albums you don't listen to and make some extra cash to get some albums you've been wanting.

What is the legal status of keeping the ripped files that you deliver, if the CDs sent to you for storage are subsequently sold or lost?
You can also purchase albums that are for sale on our marketplace to add to your collection or sell albums you don't listen to and make some extra cash to get some albums you've been wanting.

What is the legal status of keeping the ripped files that you deliver, if the CDs sent to you for storage are subsequently sold or lost?

Great question. If the album has not been downloaded or returned to the member, physical ownership and digital access transfers from the previous owner to the buyer at the point of sale. At that time, the new owner has the right to stream, download, request physical delivery, or resell the album at his / her leisure. Albums not downloaded or shipped physically can be resold over and over, however only the current owner has access to the streaming rights or the ability to request the physical media.

In the event that an album purchased on Murfie has flawed audio or the physical disc is missing, we purchase a replacement disc or issue a refund. Each copy has verified 1-to-1 ownership and only the owner of an album has access.
Advertising is against forum rules.

I requested that a moderator have the post removed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I requested that a moderator have the post removed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

We removed the direct link above, but if you're interested in learning some more about Sonos and Murfie, here's our FAQ. We do want to avoid advertising, even for our partners, but since this thread is about ripping and playing CDs Murfie is a good option or alternative, along with some of the other options suggested here already. There's some good information here and we don't want to just delete all the posts or just the first one.