Answered

Restarting a Boost Network

Badge
I'm a newbie who has recently set up a boost network.

I followed the order of operations of boost first then adding speakers and everything was good in Sonos land.

Last night I was having separate (I think) wifi issues and chose to reboot my Xfinity modem/router.

Everything is working on my Sonos system currently, but how can I tell if it is on the wifi or if it re-set up the boost network again?

If it is not on the boost network is there an order of operations that I can do next time I reboot my modem/router?

Thanks to all.
CC
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 June 2018, 13:26

Canuckcamper,

A couple of things for you to do...

Goto 'About my Sonos System' in the Sonos App Settings and make sure the device entries in the list have WM: 0 next to them. That means they are running on your Boost SonosNet signal.

If you see WM: 1 then they are running on your WiFi.

The one thing you need to do is goto 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' and remove/reset your WiFi credentials. They are not required for Boost Mode.

Can I also suggest you make sure that your router’s 2.4ghz WiFi channel and SonosNet Channel are completely different... set them to at least 5 channels apart. So if your WiFi is running on channel 6, as an example, then set your SonosNet to channel 1 or 11.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Canuckcamper,

A couple of things for you to do...

Goto 'About my Sonos System' in the Sonos App Settings and make sure the device entries in the list have WM: 0 next to them. That means they are running on your Boost SonosNet signal.

If you see WM: 1 then they are running on your WiFi.

The one thing you need to do is goto 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' and remove/reset your WiFi credentials. They are not required for Boost Mode.

Can I also suggest you make sure that your router’s 2.4ghz WiFi channel and SonosNet Channel are completely different... set them to at least 5 channels apart. So if your WiFi is running on channel 6, as an example, then set your SonosNet to channel 1 or 11.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Canuckcamper,

One further bit of advice (optional)...

It’s also worth opening up your routers web configuration pages, if you understand how to do that with a web browser and finding the DHCP Reservation Table. Then add your Sonos devices to the table with your chosen ip addresses. This ensures that anytime you restart your router and/or your Sonos devices, they will always get the same IP address that you have allocated to them in that table.

As an example I have set my own Sonos devices starting with IP address beginning 192.XX.XX.200 ... (201, 202, 203 etc.)

This stops them from 'occasionally' being allocated duplicate IP addresses from the routers DHCP Server during a reboot of the entire system. Some have seen that issue after some Sonos updates and this DHCP Reservation process should prevent that issue.

Each make/model of router is different of course, so you may need to look at your routers manual as to how to go about the reservation process, but usually it’s quite a straight forward and often simple matter to add the devices to the reservation list.
Badge
Wow, this is what I was after. Thank you.

I have a few questions, but will endeavor to work on this, later tonight and report back if I have questions.

Thanks again.
Badge
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

Canuckcamper,

I see where I can set the SonosNet Channel to 1, 6, or 11. How do I see what my WiFi channel is?

Thanks,
CC
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Your home wifi channel is set and shown in the wifi section of your router or access point.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings