Answered

Renaming HDMI audio input

Badge

There does not appear to be a way to rename the HDMI audio input named “TV”. Is this true? I use mine on an optical output that is not a TV and would like to name it appropriately, just like the Line In can be named.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 July 2021, 10:51

View original

10 replies

Incidentally, when there are multiple Line-In devices on your Sonos system the Room name is indicated in the Browse entry, as when playing Line-In the room that has the physical connection to the source does not need to play, unlike with HDMI sources.

I’m going to take a stab at this. 

First, remember that all the data about your specific system is stored on the devices themselves.  It’s not stored on your phone app(s) or in the cloud.  So your local library and music service credentials are stored on each speaker in your home.  Your available line in sources as well, since each device can play those directly.  HDMI sources would not be stored on each speaker, since only the speaker with the HDMI port can play that source.  So a Beam, for example, has no need to know that there is an Arc in the same system that has an HDMI-ARC source, since it cannot play it directly. It can only play that source when the Arc plays it first, then the Arc groups with your Beam. 

The TV source available to play will only be the one connect to the current group coordinator, the speaker that essentially started off the group.  If you started with a Beam, then added an Arc to the group, TV source is the Beam, not the Arc.  If you started playing TV audio, and then tried to remove the Beam from the group, audio would stop, as the Arc can’t play the Beam’s TV audio if the Beam isn’t in the group.

So, I definitely see the technical reason why there is only one TV source at most displayed in the app.  However, I’m not sure why each home theatre speaker/amp can’t store a label for it’s TV source, to be displayed in the Sonos amp when it is the group coordinator, instead of ‘TV’.  I can see where this would be useful if you’re actually connecting to a projector, or computer, or just want to refer to your TV as ‘old friend’.  It can still be TV to your Sonos system.  Maybe it’s an issue when it comes to APIs, but those could be excluded.

+1 to this scenario. I have two Sonos Amp devices. Both Amps are using HDMI input for TV audio (they are in different rooms). If I want to watch TV in only one room but listen to the audio across multiple rooms, not being able to rename the “TV” inputs to “ROOM #1 TV” and “ROOM #2 TV” creates a frustrating experience. Ideally, when picking the audio source in any room, it would show all available input options, including both TV inputs, but with customizable names (or even just labeled with the room/group name!) so I’m not guessing which TV audio is the one I want to play in multiple rooms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure whre you want to change the name of the input. Can you post a screenshot of the point the Sonos app this is about?

Badge

On the App under Browse one is presented with a list of audio sources that have been set up, such as Sonos Radio, Amazon Music, Line-in, and “TV”.

TV is whatever has been plugged into the HDMI input of one of the Sonos devices. Don’t know what happens if I use the HDMI input on multiple devices. Unlike Line-in, there is no sub-list.

Badge

Incidentally, when there are multiple Line-In devices on your Sonos system the Room name is indicated in the Browse entry, as when playing Line-In the room that has the physical connection to the source does not need to play, unlike with HDMI sources.

Yes, that is why I stated, maybe not clearly enough, “Unlike Line-in, there is no sub-list.”

It just seems very odd and clunky not to have the HDMI inputs treated exactly as the LineIn inputs, and one hopes that this will be remedied in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @fischershaw 

They are treated differently for good, technical reasons and I would not expect this to change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @fischershaw 

Unfortunately, that input cannot be renamed - only the room it’s in can be renamed.

Badge

As you can see from the screen capture above, the room name is not listed. So what happens when I have multiple HDMI inputs set up? Are there multiple “TV” items listed, indistinguishable from each other?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @fischershaw 

As you can see from the screen capture above, the room name is not listed. So what happens when I have multiple HDMI inputs set up? Are there multiple “TV” items listed, indistinguishable from each other?

No - the Browse menu only shows the TV input for the currently selected room. So if you have say a Beam and an Arc, when the Beam is selected tapping on TV in Browse plays the Beam’s HDMI input and not the Arc’s. I suppose that technically, the name is listed, but in the pop-up at the bottom where, on your screenshot, it says “Main Room”.

Badge

From my naive point of view, there are two physical audio inputs on each of my Amp products, LineIn and HDMI (from optical in my particular case). Each LineIn can be named and selected no matter what the current audio zone or head of a group happens to be. The HDMI input does not allow any of that.

So I for one would greatly enjoy an explanation as to why these seemingly similar inputs are treated so differently, with particular emphasis on the limitations of manipulating the HDMI inputs.

Thanks.