Answered

recycle problem

• 19 November 2019
  • 55 replies

I bought the speaker offfline and I followed all the instructions and it says it can connect because it’s in recycle mode somehelp

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 November 2019, 14:54

Sorry for @Kevinjimenez1011 dilemma but this is a prime example of  “Caveat emptor”.  It’s always best to purchase used gear of any type from a friend, relative or reputable site like eBay; for example. Not that you can’t get scammed on eBay; but they do offer a form of “Buyers Protection” if you can prove your case.

Best practices IMO...always check the Sonos sites below before going to any 3rd party source.  Click to see current products offered:

Last Chance

Refurbished or Certified Refurbished

I’m not a lawyer, so maybe Sonos legal department already has this covered. However, this insert taken from the T&C’s of the Trade-Up Program may be the fly-in-the-ointment.

With no mention of a credit/discount being rescinded if the instructions are not followed it appears Sonos may have put the cart-before-the-horse. IMO the credit/discount should not be released until after the deactivated product is either received by Sonos or delivered to a certified electronics recycler. If the latter the recycler could issue a receipt that could be presented to Sonos as proof of compliance. 

@Ken_Griffiths (with all due respect :slight_smile: ) I’m not sure that publishing MAC Addresses for disabled products would make a difference for a few reasons:

• Sonos has a way of making things like lists a bit hard to find for those who aren’t familiar with the Sonos website (i.e. Support and Community) 
  • Most people have no idea of what a Mac Address is; or it’s purpose
  • Most are more likely to understand the meaning of a published Serial Number vs Mac Address
  • Mac Address or Serial Number wouldn’t be known until after the deal is done; if the product is bought on-line. Although the buyer could ask and if the seller refuses to offer-up the information then there may be cause for concern. :thinking:

For what it’s worth to help prevent situations like this IMHO Sonos should re-evaluate when the credit/discounts are made available and under what circumstances.

Cheers!

View original

55 replies

You got sold a deactivated unit.  The most you can do is try to get your money back.  

Yup, someone is attempting to scam you by selling you a deactivated unit.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I bought the speaker offfline and I followed all the instructions and it says it can connect because it’s in recycle mode somehelp

Contact support they could reverse it or provide you with a discount towards a legit product.

Does anyone know if the TOS for the discount includez penalties if you don't follow through with the recycle? 

At first I thought this is a pretty cool program but I'm starting to think this program is ****ed up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Contact support they could reverse it or provide you with a discount towards a legit product.

Does anyone know if the TOS for the discount includez penalties if you don't follow through with the recycle? 

At first I thought this is a pretty cool program but I'm starting to think this program is ****ed up 

It’s not possible to reverse the trade-in at this stage.

I didn’t think the trade-in programme included any Sonos “Speakers”? Unless it’s just the wording here by the OP, whose ‘new’ online community profile also only mentions a Play 5 (gen2)?🤔

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I didn’t think the trade-in programme included any Sonos “Speakers”? Unless it’s just the wording here by the OP, whose ‘new’ online community profile also only mentions a Play 5 (gen2)?🤔

Yes, it includes the Play 5 gen 1. It may just be it's the wrong description and the OP doesn't realise it's a Gen 1. 

Yes, it includes the Play 5 gen 1. It may just be it's the wrong description and the OP doesn't realise it's a Gen 1. 

Ah yes, I forgot the Play 5 (gen1’s) were included, my bad ..and the Profile mentioning the gen2 threw me a little. I guess it’s a Play 5 gen1 after-all, thanks kindly for correcting my mistake.👍

l

The discount is only available once the recycle process has been committed to.

Disposal of the product -- before or after it’s actually disabled -- is the user’s responsibility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I hope the trade-up programme isn’t going to make buying used Sonos equipment too much of a risky process.

Maybe it would be helpful to have a searchable list of the disabled devices MAC address ...?

Userlevel 7

Sorry for @Kevinjimenez1011 dilemma but this is a prime example of  “Caveat emptor”.  It’s always best to purchase used gear of any type from a friend, relative or reputable site like eBay; for example. Not that you can’t get scammed on eBay; but they do offer a form of “Buyers Protection” if you can prove your case.

Best practices IMO...always check the Sonos sites below before going to any 3rd party source.  Click to see current products offered:

Last Chance

Refurbished or Certified Refurbished

I’m not a lawyer, so maybe Sonos legal department already has this covered. However, this insert taken from the T&C’s of the Trade-Up Program may be the fly-in-the-ointment.

With no mention of a credit/discount being rescinded if the instructions are not followed it appears Sonos may have put the cart-before-the-horse. IMO the credit/discount should not be released until after the deactivated product is either received by Sonos or delivered to a certified electronics recycler. If the latter the recycler could issue a receipt that could be presented to Sonos as proof of compliance. 

@Ken_Griffiths (with all due respect :slight_smile: ) I’m not sure that publishing MAC Addresses for disabled products would make a difference for a few reasons:

• Sonos has a way of making things like lists a bit hard to find for those who aren’t familiar with the Sonos website (i.e. Support and Community) 
  • Most people have no idea of what a Mac Address is; or it’s purpose
  • Most are more likely to understand the meaning of a published Serial Number vs Mac Address
  • Mac Address or Serial Number wouldn’t be known until after the deal is done; if the product is bought on-line. Although the buyer could ask and if the seller refuses to offer-up the information then there may be cause for concern. :thinking:

For what it’s worth to help prevent situations like this IMHO Sonos should re-evaluate when the credit/discounts are made available and under what circumstances.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for helping out everyone!  @Kevinjimenez1011, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. As others have already stated in here, players that have been put into recycle mode cannot be reactivated or added to a Sonos system. Your best option is to reach out to the original seller to initiate a return or refund, or perhaps a charge back through your credit company if purchased using a card with protection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Ryan, not sure what could be done on the recycled ripoff market but maybe get the programmers to tweak the recycle software to make the LED blink red when deactivated?

You could even do that for ones in the program that haven’t been deactivated yet, just make it blink red for 30 seconds at boot time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Ryan, not sure what could be done on the recycled ripoff market but maybe get the programmers to tweak the recycle software to make the LED blink red when deactivated?

You could even do that for ones in the program that haven’t been deactivated yet, just make it blink red for 30 seconds at boot time.

What's needed is for there to be proof that an item has been recycled before the discount is issued. Not sure how that would work in practice but I'd be interested to know how many people will try and sell the item for parts (or indeed try to scam someone).

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos doesn’t need any proof that the device has been recycled as it really doesn’t impact them.

Once the unit has been entered into the program, accepted the update that locks it into recycle mode and the credit posted to your account Sonos is out of the picture. The recycle firmware will automatically brick the unit so it is of limited value for parts at best.

This is an awful practice and misuse of resources and brand loyalty.  Sonos or any other manufacturer should not be bricking hardware in exchange for discounts on new hardware.  Plus, it looks a bit desperate, hope that’s not the case as an investor in SONO.  My 2c.

Userlevel 1

Weighing in to say that as a Sonos customer I’m incredibly disappointed with this practice and won’t buy any more of your products until you stop needlessly bricking devices. Aren’t you concerned for the waste this creates?

Userlevel 1

This is a class action brewing.

Sonos, do the right thing. End this stupid practice immediately while you can still save some face. 

If you continue to intend to cram legalese down your customers throats to improve your bottom line in the name of improving "the experience" for us, we will sue you. 

Don't bite the hands that feed you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is a class action brewing.

Sonos, do the right thing. End this stupid practice immediately while you can still save some face. 

If you continue to intend to cram legalese down your customers throats to improve your bottom line in the name of improving "the experience" for us, we will sue you. 

Don't bite the hands that feed you.

Wow! This is your first post and you’re threatening legal action? Who is the “we” that you claim to represent?

Userlevel 1

Yep, I joined just to chime in on this thread after this issue became international news.

And the "we" starts with my spouse and I.  Turns out we are both customers who bought from Sonos.

And by the way, I'm not the only lawyer who is eyeing this one. Wink. 

Wow! This is your first post and you’re threatening legal action? Who is the “we” that you claim to represent?

Yeah, there was some stink in the press about this, so now we will be inundated with faux outrage from people who never heard of Sonos before those articles.  Eventually it will die down, and they’ll go protest the next shiny object that catches their attention.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What law has Sonos broken?

Yep, I joined just to chime in on this thread after this issue became international news.

And the "we" starts with my spouse and I.  Turns out we are both customers who bought from Sonos.

You do realize that Sonos knows what devices are registered to your account, right?  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action

As for the damage in this case, consider someone who purchases recycled equipment or their equipment was inadvertently placed in recycle mode rendering it useless. It is purely under Sonos control to undo this.

So far there have been about a half dozen people claiming to have bought bricked units and/or have bricked them inadvertently.  Good luck with that size “class”.  :rofl:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action

As for the damage in this case, consider someone who purchases recycled equipment or their equipment was inadvertently placed in recycle mode rendering it useless. It is purely under Sonos control to undo this.

For the two cases here, the first is clearly fraud on the part of the seller -- no different to selling an item known to be defective. In the second case, ‘inadvertently’ is a contortion, given the numerous warnings and confirmation steps.

Anyway, good luck with the case. Do let us know how it goes.