Receiver turning on automatically using a smart plug

• 4 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have some built-in speakers in my home. I'd like to use an old receiver and my Sonos Connect. However the speaker wires are in the attic. Ideally I'd have the Connect and a receiver plugged into a smart outlet. Then I could turn both of them on from my phone when I'm ready to listen and avoid wasting a lot of electricity. However I don't think my receiver will turn on automatically when plugged into a power outlet. I have the Pioneer VSX‑531 5.1 Channel AV Receiver.

What have other people done to tackle this kind of situation? Or any recommendations?

(I'm interested in getting the new AMP but I don't have the patience to wait until the winter time.)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos products are designed to remain powered all the time. I wouldn't make a habit of unplugging/plugging in any of them on a regular basis. I understand the desire to save energy, but it's rather small overall. So no, I would not use a Sonos product with a smart outlet.

Probably the best you could do is either replace with a a Connect:amp or Sonos Amp, or find a non-sonos amp/receiver that a line-in autosense so that it will turn on automatically when it receives an audio signal. That and get on a electric plan that uses alternative energy sources.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the reply. Do you know why Sonos products are designed to remain powered all the time?

I could leave the Connect powered on all the time but then I still have the receiver that needs to be turned on. I realized I could get an infrared relay device that could allow me at least to turn on the receiver with the remote from the closet that has the door to the attic where the speaker wires are located.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Another question: my connect is very warm all the time when it's powered on. I'm curious how many watts it uses in idle mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, gobears81. Here is an FAQ on Idle Power Consumption of our devices.

When Sonos is fully powered down, there are a number of internal processes that need to happen before you would be able to properly use it. Usually, when people have the urge to listen to music they do not want to wait for the speaker to turn on, initialize, connect to the network, find other Sonos devices and then play the song. While there is no problem with turning them off, it's simply not the best experience.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Really cool link about idle power consumption! Thanks a lot!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd look at it this way. Like many electronics these, Sonos devices are essentially specialized computers. When computers are turned off, they have go through a boot up process in order to function. Laptops may appear to be an exception to this, but they actually don't go off all the way when they are 'turned off' and unplug. It's utilizing it's battery.

And I'm not sure if this information is available, you'd probably want to look at the power consumption of whatever smart outlet you want to use, so you can subtract the difference when trying to calculate your savings.