Answered

PS5 best settings for Sonos beam gen 2, sub and 2 one’s setup

• 18 August 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi guys I’ve just upgraded from a Sonos play bar to a Beam gen 2 and finding it a bit confusing which settings to set up on the PS5.

I also have a sonos sub and 2 sonos 1’s as surrounds

I can only get 7.1 output on pcm but there is also Dolby and Dolby dts setting but they show 5.1

could someone advise best settings on ps5 please to get best out of my setup ?

Thanks in anticipation 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 August 2022, 16:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The best set up is what sounds best for you. Trust your ears.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I am actually curious on this as well but have Arc instead. Sound is stereo PCM for me even though getting much better on Apple TV. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Jeffrey_35 TS's question is about a choice of surround formats. You do not even get surround. What are your TV and ATV sound settings?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Sorry I thought it was implied I have surround but with an Arc instead. My Apple TV is set up fine but just added a PS5 and only getting Stereo PCM. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you do get surround from the ATV, but not from the PS5? This also looks like a settings problem.

Userlevel 7

@AndyHutch

HDMI Device Type should be set to AV Amplifier. Set the Number of Channels to 5.1 ch.

Audio Format (Priority) should be set to Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. If you prefer lossy DTS Digital Surround audio from DTS discs, change this setting to DTS.

When streaming content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby.

When watching Blu-ray discs, there is another audio setting that must be adjusted when you start the disc. Tap the Options button on the controller, select the “…” and change the Audio Format setting to Bitstream for Dolby-encoded discs. Change this setting to Linear PCM for Multichannel PCM audio from DTS-encoded discs. Change this setting to Bitstream for DTS Digital Surround audio from DTS-encoded discs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@GuitarSuperstar Hey there. Thanks for your help with this. Quick question. I have an Arc with Sub and 2 ones with a PS5 and LG CX. Tried your settings with change of 7.1 instead and am still getting Stereo PCM. Do I need to change something on LG side as it’s set up for Apple TV 4K. Any help appreciated. 

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar Hey there. Thanks for your help with this. Quick question. I have an Arc with Sub and 2 ones with a PS5 and LG CX. Tried your settings with change of 7.1 instead and am still getting Stereo PCM. Do I need to change something on LG side as it’s set up for Apple TV 4K. Any help appreciated. 

Be sure the TV is set to these settings:

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

eARC Support: On

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@GuitarSuperstar Thanks for that. TV was set as auto instead of passthrough so that was the hiccup. So now getting MC 7.1. Is that right? Should I change it to 5.1 even though I have an Arc or leave it that way? 

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar Thanks for that. TV was set as auto instead of passthrough so that was the hiccup. So now getting MC 7.1. Is that right? Should I change it to 5.1 even though I have an Arc or leave it that way? 

Yes, “Multichannel PCM 7.1” is what you want to see from DTS discs. You can change the setting on the PS5 to 5.1 but I don’t think it will make any difference.