Question

problems with Sonos and nighthawk mesh

• 18 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello, I've installed recently a nighthawk mesh 6 and my sonos stopped working. I cannot detect it on my network. Please advise what to do. I’ve tried everything from rebooting, reinstalling etca…

Thanks in advance

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi docteur.pfrancois.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to connect your Sonos to the new router. Let me help you out with that.

Since you have mentioned about a mesh system. let me suggest a quick guide to consider when working with a mesh system.

I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference. Here are some guides to better understand and know what and how to fix this issue.

• Have each access point have their own unique Wifi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

Let me share with you a topic on this community that discusses multiple routers or mesh system. You can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I would like to ask if you can send me a private message of your desired screen name here in the Sonos Community so I can help out with that. This is to protect your personal information (Email address) from being displayed as your screen name.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Dear Paul,

I’ve already done everything that you proposed.

• The wifi of the main router is disabled.
  • The mesh is installed with 1 router and 1 satellite (MK62) and has 1 wifi netwerk that is perfectly working in our home
  • One sonos device (the playbar) is attached directly to the router of the mesh

My setup in my house is as follows : 

1 main router from the internet provider attached to a TP-Link 16 port switch 

From this switch the whole house is connected.

So I have the MK62 (2 access points) from netgear connected to that switch and the wifi is active from these two access points. I had the same installation before with two TP-link switches AC1750 and everything worked well. Now that I’ve replaced the 2 TP-Link Switches with the 2 Netgear switches, sonos is not detected anymore but the internet is working as also the wifi. I don’t know how to resolve this. The reason that I’ve changed the switches is to have a more powerful network because we could not have internet in every room of the house (unfortunately we did not installed internet in the rooms of our children, that’s why we need wifi anyway)

Thanks in advance.

1. François
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @P Francois/

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps so they can also check what might be causing the issue with Sonos. You may also want to consider reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi, just installed a Mesh MK63  (1 router 2 satellite) system. Added another satellite.

After a complete set up, SONOS was only available on the wifi netwrk and controllable via phone/tablet/device on the same wifi system. No computer attached to RJ45 could see the SONOS equipment, all sorted now.

Use Netgear router as access point. Turn off wifi on internet router. Set Netgear system as an access point. The netgear router will use the DHCP from the VM internet modem, making all devices on the LAN and wifi on the same network.

The netgear no longer provides the IP addresses for devices, this is controlled by my VM router, however mesh still works.

No confusing factors of having 2 networks of differing numbers.

I chose number 3 below, however I turned off the VM router’s wifi and am only using the mesh function now (that is why I brought it).

1. Put the virgin media device in passthrough/modem only mode. This disables its router functions and wifi and leaves the netgear in control of everything. (VM router lost connectivity to the internet).

2. Put the netgear in the virgin media's DMZ.  

3. Put the netgear in access point mode. This disables its own routing functions. You can still use the wifi/ethernet ports but disables some other features. (In this mode, just make sure to put the vigin media's wifi channels on different ones from the netgear so they don't interfere).

Hopefully this settles up a lot of SONOS / MESH system questions and issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Wayne2101.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for sharing your feedback and solution. We appreciate it a lot as this may help other members of the community who might have the same setup as yours but are having some challenges setting them up or making them work with their Sonos ecosystem. 

Please do not hesitate to share more feedback and solutions here in the community. We are all here to help each other out.

Thanks,