Question

Problems connecting my turntable to Play 5 Gen 2

• 11 December 2018
  • 6 replies

I recently purchased a Pioneer PLX500 with built in pre-amp, and have followed all the connection tips that I could find on the sonos website as well as other sites, but I still can't manage to get music to play through the speaker. All I seem to get is a humming/buzzing sound if I turn the speaker volume right up. I have been using the Play 5 as part of my Playbar and Play 1's set up for over a year without any issues, so I've even tried factory resetting it to completely disconnect it from the rest of the group. I've got the switch set to Line and have set up the changeable line-in settings (to the best of my knowledge) and I can get my android phone to play music via the 3.5mm jack / line-in function, but when I connect my turntable again.... nothing. Just humming and buzzing. I've taken the turntable back to the place of purchase and they tested it there for me and it played fine, so I have ruled out any issues with the turntable itself. Is there some simple setting I could be missing on the Sonos controller? Getting desperate and fed up now!
Cheers in advance for any assistance you can provide!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I recently purchased a Pioneer PLX500 with built in pre-amp, and have followed all the connection tips that I could find on the sonos website as well as other sites, but I still can't manage to get music to play through the speaker. All I seem to get is a humming/buzzing sound if I turn the speaker volume right up. I have been using the Play 5 as part of my Playbar and Play 1's set up for over a year without any issues, so I've even tried factory resetting it to completely disconnect it from the rest of the group. I've got the switch set to Line and have set up the changeable line-in settings (to the best of my knowledge) and I can get my android phone to play music via the 3.5mm jack / line-in function, but when I connect my turntable again.... nothing. Just humming and buzzing. I've taken the turntable back to the place of purchase and they tested it there for me and it played fine, so I have ruled out any issues with the turntable itself. Is there some simple setting I could be missing on the Sonos controller? Getting desperate and fed up now!
Cheers in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Hi Diego B,

Welcome to the community. Please test out the line-in connection to the Play:5 with a different device, such as the Android phone you mentioned. If that works, we'll want to take a look at the turntable next. Please make sure the aux cable is fully inserted on both ends. Then, test it out again. If you're still not getting audio from it, check that the switch on the back of the turntable isn't set to phono, you'll want it set to line instead.
Hi Jeff S,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response. Been a busy christmas period!
The Play 5 works fine with my Samsung Galaxy S8 using the direct line in cable with 3.5mm jack. The switch on the back of the turntable is also definitely set to Line and not Phono. What else could I try?
One other thing I forgot to mention is that whenever I touch the turntable's tonearm or any other metal part (and it's connected to the play 5 via the cable) the buzzing/humming is much louder. As though there is a cabling or grounding issue. Apologies for the lack of technical explanation!
Having the same problem. Play 5 works. Turntable works. But when I try to use them together, I hear 98% buzz from the Play 5 and 2% music. To make things more interesting, when I group the Play 5 with my pair of Play 1s and Playbase, the music plays from those at a normal level. What gives?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there,

The buzzing sound makes me think that the turntable is not grounded. This can also happen when the audio cable is not fully inserted. What is the model of your turntable? Does it have a ground?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Are you using an RCA->3.5 mm adapter? Have you ruled that out as a possible culprit?
Not the OP, but I got my issue sorted. It turned out to be a lousy cable connecting the pre-amp to the line in on the PLAY 5. Still very curious that, although very little sound was coming out of the PLAY 5, the sound from my connected Sonos speakers was great. I'll take it though! Thanks for following up.