Problem with Album Artwork

• 16 October 2009
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Badge
Hello,
I've been working with my iTunes music collection to solve the album-artwork issues.

Here's what I have found:
1. As long as the album artwork is under 250KB, it will be displayed in the Sonos system.
2. You can use iTunes to embed a smaller artwork file and it will display in Sonos. Just select all tracks in an album, then right-click, choose "Get Info," and drag the album artwork into the "Artwork" box.
3. You can do what I said above even if there is existing album artwork (it will be replaced with the correct artwork).
4. You do not have to run the script mentioned in the FAQ for Sonos to recognize your artwork. (I'm not quite sure what that script is for.)
5. After updating your artwork, run "Updeate Music Index Now."

That's what I dioscovered!

I've updated the artwork for several albums, and have many more to go. I'm doing just a few each week, as time permits.

Thanks,
Matthew

5. After updating your artwork, run "Updeate Music Index Now."

There is no need to update the Music Index for artwork changes since SONOS fetches artwork at the time of playing. One must update the Music Index after changing tags such as Album Artist because these are stored in the ZonePlayers and are used to find the music (prior to playing).

Note that there is a small image cache in the ZonePlayers that can make one think that the artwork update was missed. If you play a track, update the artwork, then play that same track again to check your work, you may end up viewing the old artwork. This is very confusing for the human. The image cache is not very deep. Simply play or touch a few other albums to clear the cache. This is usually faster than a re-index.
Badge
buzz,
Thanks for the response.

I noticed that the artwork sometimes did not update, and when I re-indexed the collection it did show up. But I tried what you said and yes, the artwork showed up without re-indexing. Funny thing.

Thanks,
Matthew
Badge
Make sure that you aren't calling it folder.jpg.jpg by mistake.

The .jpg part is the extension. On windows youy can hide this (I think it might be the default). If you then name a jpeg file "folder.jpg" it will actually be called "folder.jpg.jpg" as the real extension is hidden.

Make sure you have the extensions shown in windows and that the name is correct.

Cheers,

Keith
then what should you name the file exactly?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
folder.jpg
Badge
folder.jpg
got it now, thank you. Is there an optimum dimension to the .jpeg too?