Preamp, Amp them Sonos Connect

• 25 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have a turntable which is connected to my preamp, which in turn is connected to the Sonos Connect. Music is then played through two Play 3s, a Playbar and a Sub.

My question is: Can I connect another amp such as a Cambridge Audio Amp (this is just an example) into the Sonos Connect and is it worth doing? So there would be turntable > Preamp > Amp > Sonos Connect > Speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I would do: TT -> Preamp -> CONNECT -> Amp -> Passive (Non-SONOS) Speakers.
Badge
Thanks so much for your reply. Agreed but due to various reasons, such as space etc, it has to be Sonos speakers. What I'm trying to achieve is the best sound quality with the Sonos system I have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ok, in that case I don't understand the purpose of the (e.g.) Cambridge Audio Amp. What are you trying to achieve?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you using Sonos speakers then having another Amp beyond the pre-amp feeding the connect doesn't do you any sort of good - all Sonos speakers operate off their own internal amplifiers.
I have a turntable which is connected to my preamp, which in turn is connected to the Sonos Connect. Music is then played through two Play 3s, a Playbar and a Sub.

My question is:

What are you seeking that you are not getting from the quoted set up?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
The four Sonos speakers you have already have amps built into them. Adding another amp does nothing for those speakers - it can't, they have no inputs for speaker-level signals. The suggestion from pwt is accurate - you can use the line out or optical output from a Connect to feed the external amp which would then drive passive speakers. The only advantage to this is if you want louder, better speakers than what you have already. Trouble is, the Sonos speakers with the built in amps are already really good, so the costs / effort to get better are proportionately higher, unless you already have equipment or you have a space that's larger than the Sonos speakers you have can handle properly.
Badge
Ok. Thank you very much for your replies. Much appreciated. I wanted to see if there was a way in which I could enhance the sound quality from my turntable to the Sonos speakers.