Power three speakers with on connect:amp

• 29 July 2017
  • 1 reply

I have one connect:amp and three speakers I want to connect to the amp.
The first speaker has an impedance of 8 ohms and can handle a power between 5W and 70W.
The other two speakers have also an impedance of 8 ohms, however they can handle power between 5W and 100W.

Is it possible to use these three speakers with the amp without damaging any of them?
If it is possible how do I connect them in the best way?

I saw the instruction about how you connect four speakers to one amp https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/~/connecting-speakers-to-a-connect%3Aamp. But I am not so good at this and don’t know if it works in the same way. All the speakers have 8 ohms so that is good I guess. However, I am not certain if the amp generates too much power when you have two speakers on the same channel, according to the website every channel give 110W, is that going to damage my speakers, or how it works?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How much of the available power the Sonos will send to the speakers is up to you, your music choice and volume control setting. If you don't crank it up to the maximum volume on some really loud music you wouldn't see the maximum power anyway.

With one 8 Ohm speaker per channel you'll only see the 55 Watts into 8 Ohms shown.

If you wire your third speaker to one of the Sonos outputs then you would see the higher output of 110 watts into 4 Ohms power level on that channel but it would be split with roughly half going to each speaker on that output. Again well under your power ratings.

If you look at the page you linked you'd have one output matching the two speaker section and the other output matching the four speaker diagram. Keep in mind that with two speakers on a channel the power is roughly split between them.