Answered

Please help with backyard speaker set-up

• 27 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi guys. I would appreciate some help on setting up my backyard speaker system. I have purchased a Connect:AMP to power my recently purchased TIC GS3 omnidirectional speakers that I plan to install around my backyard patio/pool/hot-tub areas. I have 4 of the speakers. I plan to install two on the right side of the yard and two on the left side of the yard. The Connect:AMP will be positioned in the middle. I will play around with the speakers and move them to find the best spots before I bury the cables. I have 14 gauge wire to connect everything which I figure should be plenty thick. Is that size appropriate? The speakers will be anywhere from 30 feet to 80 feet away from the AMP. I have two questions concerning the install.
1) Do I wire up each pair on each side of the yard individually (meaning they are each running off their own dedicated wire connected to the AMP)? Or do I wire the two on the right as a parallel wiring and the two on the left as a parallel wiring? Or does it really matter?
1) I was also thinking about having some type of speaker selector so I can turn off some of the speakers as needed. This would be great if I am in the hottub and only want the one speaker by the hottub on so the entire backyard isn't playing at the same time. I don't necessarily need any other type of volume control, other that through the SONOS app. I want to make sure whatever speaker selector I purchase will not diminish the sound and quality of the speakers that are running through it. When I read about ohms , watts, etc I get tired head. I don't want to buy something that may not properly work so I would love some advice on one that would work well to just be able to turn off any of the 4 speakers at any time by pressing a button, and not losing any sound quality. Thank You so much for the help!!!
icon

Best answer by Chris 28 January 2019, 00:28

Having the switch won't diminish quality. Yes run all 4 wires from Amp or switch to the speakers.

PS.... since running 4 speakers I would really recommend not getting the Connect:Amp but instead the more powerful new Sonos Amp. I have 2 TIG GS3 outside powered by a Sonos Amp and sounds great - 4 should sound great as well.

Another beneifit of Sonos Amp for outdoor is to set the new Sonos Amp into mono mode (not a legit right and left as position outdoor). Theoretically then if you wanted to only play 2 of the 4 speakers you could adjust right/left balance to turn on off 2 speakers I would assume.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Having the switch won't diminish quality. Yes run all 4 wires from Amp or switch to the speakers.

PS.... since running 4 speakers I would really recommend not getting the Connect:Amp but instead the more powerful new Sonos Amp. I have 2 TIG GS3 outside powered by a Sonos Amp and sounds great - 4 should sound great as well.

Another beneifit of Sonos Amp for outdoor is to set the new Sonos Amp into mono mode (not a legit right and left as position outdoor). Theoretically then if you wanted to only play 2 of the 4 speakers you could adjust right/left balance to turn on off 2 speakers I would assume.
Great idea, but since I already have the Connect:AMP I'm gonna have to use it. From what I understand, 4 of the TIC GS3's should be able to run fine off of it. I hope that's correct. Also, I have a Russound SS-6.2 6-Pair speaker selector sitting in the attic that hasn't been used in years. It has "impedence-matching protection and can handle 70watts per channel" so I'm gussing that should be adequate as well to use as a speaker selector. Of course, if I turn off 3 of the 4 speakers, is that one speaker going to sound off since it will be designated as a L or a R?. Thanks Again