Answered

playing youtube through sonos app

Badge
How do I play youtube through the sonos app?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 June 2016, 22:09

You don't. YouTube specifically does not allow playback via any WiFi multi-room audio systems, including Google's own Chromecast Audio. They want your eyes on the screen, and systems like Sonos and Chromecast Audio are designed to let you turn the screen off because they stream from the unit itself, not the mobile device.

So if you want YouTube on Sonos, you have to complain to YouTube, because they hold all the cards.

Note there are workarounds, like Airplay or Bluetooth through a Sonos line-in.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

You don't. YouTube specifically does not allow playback via any WiFi multi-room audio systems, including Google's own Chromecast Audio. They want your eyes on the screen, and systems like Sonos and Chromecast Audio are designed to let you turn the screen off because they stream from the unit itself, not the mobile device.

So if you want YouTube on Sonos, you have to complain to YouTube, because they hold all the cards.

Badge
ok. thanks...I do not have Airplay (I do not watch TV) so I would need a Bluetooth receiver/player connected to line-in. have to investigate that.
Sonos components with a line-in are the Connect, Connect:Amp and Play:5. If you don't have a conventional hifi or pair of speakers you want to use with Sonos, the first two are expensive ways of getting a line-in. The P:5 is the most expensive option, but you do get a fabulous all-in-one speaker for your money.
Badge
I bought the P:5s. They work great with my iphone and pc through wifi, (as shown at Bestbuy wheere I bought them). I do not have a standard hifi (stereo/receiver) anymore. But that device would not be able to get youtube anyway. I am confused how conventional speakers can be used with Sonos.
The Sonos Connect and Connect:Amp can be used with conventional speakers. The Connect:Amp can drive them directly and the Connect can be used as a source for a traditional receiver and speakers.

No google wont allow YouTube to play over the Chromecast audio, but if you get the "YouTube Music" app you can actually cast that to Chromecast audio, weird since it's just a music version of YouTube that picks up all music from YouTube and has all the capabilities of YouTube... Oh and don't bother trying to get YouTube Music to run off Sonos won't work but will on Chromecast audio
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why is it weird? What motive could YouTube possibly have for making it possible for users of YouTube music who pay for a license to listen to copyrighted music yet stop people listening to copyrighted music for free via Sonos?
You don't need permission that can be your phone. All you need is to have a Bluetooth connection instead of this grand sanos app that don't play the things you want. Any simple Bluetooth speaker plays you tube why can't you sanos?!
You don't need permission that can be your phone. All you need is to have a Bluetooth connection instead of this grand sanos app that don't play the things you want. Any simple Bluetooth speaker plays you tube why can't you sanos?!

Sonos speakers don't use Bluetooth, they don't even have a Bluetooth chip installed They are a completely different architecture that streams directly from the source. If you are looking for the features of a Bluetooth speaker, you bought the wrong speaker.

And it's SONOS.
Yep that's the problem. I bet it wouldn't be too much extra to just add that option for their customers. There are plenty of people not happy with this. Oh well guess I will get a $5 speaker that can connect using WiFi . Lol what a joke!
Yep that's the problem. I bet it wouldn't be too much extra to just add that option for their customers. There are plenty of people not happy with this. Oh well guess I will get a $5 speaker that can connect using WiFi . Lol what a joke!

It may be a joke to you, but millions are quite happy with Sonos. Obviously you are not their intended market.
Yeah ok. Lol I know none of their intended market uses you tube. Such a simple fix, but to stupid to see how many customers are disappointed. Love the other parts of these speakers.It stinks they let you tube control what they can play, rather than add a chip.
Yeah, just add a chip. Means retooling multi-million dollar manufacturing lines to add less reliable, less quality audio to a system that prides itself on reliability and quality. Not going to hapoen. Go buy a Bluetooth speaker.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've not looked at a Sonos speaker teardown, but it's likely that their Wifi chipset also supports BT. But that's not the point, a lot of Sonos market positionning is against BT speakers. Should they start to support it then they would be compared to such speakers and it's a race to the bottom. So it's extremely unlikely that they will ever support it and highly understandable why they don't want to - technology as very little to do with that
The point is that Sonos is a speaker system. Speakers are supposed to play sound/music. I cant think of any reason why they should restrict an owner playing anything from any device. Quality of sound is one thing and if they added a BT compatible chip who cares its not taking away from the wifi compatibility. Wifi is hardly without its faults. What if there's no internet available? The issue is with how Sonos is sold, they tell you you can stream music from your phones etc and theres services available but dont tell you there's only a handful of services and most are paid subscriptions and 90% no one would ever use. Hotel music for example. You wouldn't buy a TV that restricts what you can watch even if it had the best picture quality ever seen...
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
You can play any music source you like through a line in on the Play 5 or Connect and Connect Amp. You could even add a BT dongle. Besides the post is about playing Youtube Audio through the Sonos echo system, which is specifically prohibited by Youtube. So that is the reason.

If you don't like the fact that BT is not built into every Sonos speaker then maybe it's not for you. Most of us are very happy that it isn't and much prefer the Wi Fi synchronised music anyway.