Answered

Playing to Sonos Five via Sonos Port or Line-in jack?

• 10 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Is there a sound difference that is noticeable whether I connect the turntable via 3.5mm Line in on the Fives verses connecting the turntable to the Port and then use the room where the Fives are located?  Or is it essentially the same thing, different setup?  

Asking because it would be more ideal for the turntable stand to be located about 25 feet away from where I want my Fives to be located, therefore it would require a Port to get my turntable into my Sonos Network. Right now I have the Turntable hooked up via 3.5mm jack as it is right next to the Fives(which is causing another issue with vibration because they are on the same surface). 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 10 January 2021, 03:12

There is no difference, both convert the signal to digital before playing.

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

Thanks. This makes my decision much easier. 

What exactly is the issue caused by the vibration? Are you seeing the needle jump out of the groove?

Unless that is the case, and it can’t be addressed more simply, investing in the Port to address just this issue seems to be overspending.

I agree with @Kumar . There are lots of acoustic pads and 'dead mats' available to deal with vibration.

And if the Port would be used just for a line in then you might consider buying a used Connect gen 2 instead,  if you go down that route.

Badge +1

What exactly is the issue caused by the vibration? Are you seeing the needle jump out of the groove?

Unless that is the case, and it can’t be addressed more simply, investing in the Port to address just this issue seems to be overspending.

I have my turntable on the same surface as my speakers (a buffet cabinet with a granite top). Since adding a second Five to the equation I started noticing some coloration of the sound especially during deeper bass tracks. So basically the needle is being affected by the bass reverb, It’s pretty noticeable. The speakers are in the place I want them to be. So I was thinking to get a turntable stand to store my records and move the turntable over to the opposite side of the house because there is not good space to put a turntable stand next to the buffet cabinet where the speakers are. 

Badge +1

I agree with @Kumar . There are lots of acoustic pads and 'dead mats' available to deal with vibration.

And if the Port would be used just for a line in then you might consider buying a used Connect gen 2 instead,  if you go down that route.

Will a used Connect gen 2 work with S2 app?  My wife wants access to the buffet table for decorations and such so my turntable has to move to a different location anyway

Yes a gen 2 (post-2015l Connect is compatible with S2.