Answered

Playbase TOO LOUD in surround sound setup - OVER POWERS sound on Add-on surround speakers. PLEASE HELP.

• 9 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have a Playbase and just added (2) Play 3's. The Playbase is under my TV and when sitting at center, it is 11' 3" in front of me. My (2) Play 3's are only 4' 2" behind me and spaced approx 4.5" apart. I CAN BARE EVEN HEAR the Play 3's. I went through the auto setup, then the manual setup and set the Play 3's at the furthest distance on the app even thought they are not that far away. Still no luck. I tried all the audio output options on my TV - Dolby, Bitstream, etc etc, all of them.... still no luck. No matter how loud I turn up the volume the Playbase drowns out the others. I like to hear the sounds from behind me, I wish there was an option for a rear fade or at least turn the Playbase down. OR Sonos come out with an update that re-calibrates the sound weighting on surround ... OR tweak the 10' away set up to be a louder option for the add on speakers ... I mean, c'mon .... all these options and can solve this simple issue? If i'm not missing someththing and there is no fix on the roadmap, im switching to Bose. HELP.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 July 2018, 01:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There's several settings that adjust the sound coming from the PLAYBASE, such as Speech Enhancement and Night Mode, both available from the bottom of the screen when looking at the room that has the PLAYBASE playing in it, on the mobile controller. Speech Enhancement looks like a squarish speech bubble, Night Mode looks like a moon.

If you click on ...more, you'll get to a screen that allows you to select Settings.

Go to Settings>Room Settings>[Room name that the Surrounds are in]>Advanced Audio>Surround Settings> and you can adjust the level of the surrounds for when it's playing TV (TV Level)

Have you looked to see what the Sonos PLAYBASE thinks it's receiving? Go back to the Settings page, and click on "About My Sonos System. Find the area for the PLAYBASE, and see what the line saying "Audio In" indicates. If it's anything other than Dolby Digital, then whatever signal is being sent by your TV needs to be adjusted.

And there is a calibration routine, although right now it's limited to iOS at this point in time. It's called TruePlay, and can be done for any room.
Badge
THANK YOU FOR THAT detailed reply Bruce.

1. Yes I had already competed the Trueplay Setup
2. Yes the Playbase was receiving Dolby
3. THIS IS THE FIX Settings>Room Settings>Living Room (LS+RS)>Advanced Audio>Surround Settings> then I turned TV Level all the way up - THAT FIXED IT, THANK YOU. Sonos owes you a commission.
I'd be delighted if they were to pay me :)

You're welcome. Sometimes it is just a matter of delving into the settings to see what is available.