Playbar w/ TCL Roku

FYI - The TCL tv with the enhanced Roku remote does NOT use IR for volume (confirmed with TCL support), hence it is NOT compatible with changing the volume or the Playbar. In our case we decided it was good enough with just the cable remote controlling the Playbar. I had been unable to find this information online so I wanted to post it here in case it helps anyone in the future.

I presume the lower end TCL TVs (without the enhanced remote) would be fine since those remotes do use IR instead of radio.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been playing with a new Playbar today on multiple TV’s and had a time associating it with every TV I’ve used so far. And I normally don’t have issues with remotes/programming them/TV inputs.

Sonos, please update your app to guide users based on brands of TV. Samsung and TCL seem to be very problematic. I’m expecting an Apple like experience from your brand, but so far, it’s a lot of workarounds.
We will have to see what the June 6 announcement brings, but it would be hard for them to retrofit existing hardware with something other than IR.
Yes, but I’m not looking for anything fancy. I just mean, when you setup the speaker that it asks you what type of TV you have and guides you based on that. When I was setting up my Samsung earlier today, I kept finding outdated info on how to set it up (use pioneer or this or that). Then I called support and the person I spoke with gave me the most recent KB and it worked. Even though the TCL doesn’t have IR (easy to point to a KB that says that), using the cable/sat remote is better than nothing.
Ah, I see. You're wanting them to rewrite the installation process. I get it.
Has there been any update or workaround that doesn't involve a 2nd remote for a TCL/Sonos/Alexa setup?

I purchased 2 of the new TCL 6 Series TV's and have a full Sonos system throughout my entire house with several Alexa points. I've been trying to find a solution to control the volume without using my phone or a 2nd remote, would a Logitech Harmony Hub help? or is this an issue that will be addressed soon?
I haven’t found one yet. I’m guessing that a Harmony might be the way to go. I just don’t like remotes with a lot of buttons or using my smart devices, while trying to get away from it all.
I'm also looking for a solution. I have a TCL/Roku 6 series TV and Sonos Playbar. It's hard to believe that I'm back to using two remotes again. Oh how I wish I could just control the volume with the TCL remote. At this point I'd be happy with any remote that controls both the TV and the Playbar.
Not sure if this is a viable solution for everyone but I ordered an IR Roku remote from eBay. It doesn't have the Voice Input feature but this particular remote has the shortcut buttons I like (Netflix, Amazon,HBO Now and SlingTV) and best of all, it works with the Sonos Playbar. For $7.10, I say that's a win and it has a gloss black face.

Hopefully Sonos/TCL will develop a long term solution to capture all of the functions, but until then I'll be using this remote.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RC280-LED-HDTV-Remote-Control-for-TCL-ROKU-TV-with-HBONOW-Sling-Netflix-Amaz/132298101746?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Seller: hurricane-hook
Model: RC280 TCL Roku Remote
I purchased the Logitech Harmony Elite today. It solved my volume control issue, but that’s just about the only thing it does well (product is a POS). I’ll be taking it back and buying the least expensive harmony remote.

I have to say I’m really disappointed. TCL and Sonos need to get their act together. I’ve spent thousands of dollars outfitting my home with Sonos products, and to not be able to do something as simple as turn up the volume on my TV without having to juggle remotes is unacceptable. Please come up with a fix soon.
I just wanted to reiterate and expand a little and what's already been said. I jut got the Sonos Playbar and while I'm happy with the sound it's really frustrating that the remote will not work with the TCL P series. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it's legitimately annoying that you have to fire up an app on your phone to make the volume adjustment. I never realized how often I adjusted volume until getting the playbar. The source volume levels change somewhat drastically from streaming service to streaming service and the need to use your phone is pretty glaring.

Also, the soundbar is tall enough that if it's placed in front of the TCL P series TV it blocks some of the screen. That's not really Sonos' fault but that combined with the volume control combined with the price and I'm definitely regretting the purchase. $700 is a decent amount for a sound bar and if I'd known my TV would be on 2x4s and I had to use my phone to adjust volume I would not have thrown down for this product.
How does the TCL remote communicate with the TV set? Is it infrared, bluetooth, or wifi? The Sonos system only recognizes IR, so you may need to change a setting on your remote in order to get it to send out an IR signal. Or invest in a multidevice remote, like Harmony.
I have the new TCL 65R617 TV, which has the Roku voice remote. When I first started using it the remote was sending IR (confirmed using a camera) and it was working with the TV as long as I aimed it at the TV. As such, I was also able to get my Sonos Playbar to work with the vol/mute buttons of the remote. Great.

After a week or so I ran into an issue with the factory batteries failing. After I replaced the batteries the remote stopped sending IR, but continued to work with the TV. I suspect what happened is that I did not initially pair the remote with the TV so it used IR mode. When I replaced the batteries I must have pushed the pairing button. It appears that the remote stops sending IR once it's paired to the TV. Unfortunately, there's no "unpair" option in the TV, you'd probably have to do a factory reset, which I haven't tried yet.
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been playing with a new Playbar today on multiple TV’s and had a time associating it with every TV I’ve used so far. And I normally don’t have issues with remotes/programming them/TV inputs.

Sonos, please update your app to guide users based on brands of TV. Samsung and TCL seem to be very problematic. I’m expecting an Apple like experience from your brand, but so far, it’s a lot of workarounds.

TCL also doesnt support Screen Mirror with iOS, hate these turf wars
New 55" TCL, Playbar, same problem. It's always something. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a SideClick with the TCL TV Roku remote just to control the volume? $29 from Amazon, pricey, but maybe worth it.
i didn't bring my installation CDs with me, and my host does not play WoW. THE AGONY!!

🆒
Just following up to my earlier post -- the SideClick solution works, and the combined Roku remote + SideClick is surprisingly easy to program and use. Unfortunate that it's an extra $30 to get a solution (would be nice of course if you could somehow just get the Roku remote to continue emitting IR) but an acceptable workaround.
Badge +2
Bringing this back to the top as I don't see that my specific question was answered.

Can anybody confirm that if I buy an IR version of the Roku remote for the TCL 6 Series TV that it will work to control the volume on the Playbar if I use it instead of the enhanced remote?

Alternatively, would a Harmony Hub get me the same result? I've successfully been using a couple of Harmony Hub's with TCL Roku TV's and Alexa in other rooms.

Thanks in advance!
Ive been using Harmony Hub based remotes for years in 2 locations in my home, both control the PLAYBAR with no issues.

Any IR remote should work.
I got the RC280 remote and it works with the Playbar but you can't hold the volume button down. It just changes one volume unit per click. So so annoying. Is this normal with any IR remote with TCL 5 series?