Answered

Playbar Toslink (optical) port question

• 4 December 2019
  • 4 replies

In the Sonos User Guide, under the Playbar section, I’m wondering what it means by the picture of the Digital In (optical) means. As in the green vs the red?

I am considering buying one of these to connect to my computer for music & video (I use Plex) My computer has a Toslink port that I currently use on an aged 5.1 system. The light color is red currently. The computer supports Dolby Digital sound. What is the picture in the manual trying to clarify by the colors?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 December 2019, 19:56

Hi Hoovy, glad to hear you’re taking time to read manuals and do research! In this case, you’re just overthinking it. The red x image is just showing the cable upside down. You want to have the optical cable plugged in with the roundish side on the bottom, not the top. The port will only fit one way, but the image is in hopes that people won’t try to cram the cable in the wrong direction and break something.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Hoovy, glad to hear you’re taking time to read manuals and do research! In this case, you’re just overthinking it. The red x image is just showing the cable upside down. You want to have the optical cable plugged in with the roundish side on the bottom, not the top. The port will only fit one way, but the image is in hopes that people won’t try to cram the cable in the wrong direction and break something.

Ok, I was hoping that is all it meant. Thanks for the quick answer.

If the audio from the computer is connected to the Playbar via Toslink, will there be any audio delay from the video? In my thinking, it is no different then connecting it to the TV like that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Your thinking is correct. Naturally it will depend on the device on the other end. Optical connections have very little latency, not enough to be noticed. I have an optical to HDMI adapter wired to a Beam that connects to my computer for my computer speakers. I’ve never noticed a delay. If you do detect a delay, it’s likely happening before the audio gets sent to the Playbar and you could check into sound device settings on your computer to make adjustments. Computers have the benefit of being able to install all sorts of audio software to change things before the audio is outputted.

Thanks very much!