Answered

Playbar setup questions

• 14 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Pretty happy with the Playbar so far, but have a few questions:

1) I initially had my Playbar laying on a TV console but have since mounted it to the wall. Do I need to change a setting somewhere, or does the Playbar automatically know to alter the speaker dynamics?
2) The Playbar is connected to a TCL Roku TV (65R617). I've got a Roku Ultra connected to that, which is what I use daily (the TV's processor is a bit slower than the Ultra). The Roku Ultra's remote won't control the volume on the TV, so I can't use it to control the volume on the Playbar. Does anyone have a similar setup that they've found a way to make this work? It would be great to be able to use the Roku Ultra's remote to handle volume/mute.
3) Since I can't currently control the volume via the Roku remote, I have to use the Sonos app on my Android phone. The experience is...not great. The widget is cumbersome, it's always showing useless "last-play" information in notifications, and launching the full app just to adjust the volume is tedious. Anyone found a better solution?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by sc123 20 November 2018, 17:23

1) If the orientation changed (90 degrees), I'd recommend unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it back in to the power. For reasons I don't understand, the internal system doesn't check orientation except at power up. Then, if you can, I'd run TruePlay on it, assuming you have a spare iOS device.

2) No substantial information here on this, just make sure that the remote you're using is IR (InfraRed), as that is where the PLAYBAR would be looking for information about volume (in addition, of course, to the controller's wifi commands).

3)There's a setting in the controller app where you can turn on or off that "last play" functionality. Poke around in the settings.

Thanks, Airgetlam. Looks like the Roku remote is RF.

Ugh - I chose my reply as the best answer. Idiot.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

1) If the orientation changed (90 degrees), I'd recommend unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it back in to the power. For reasons I don't understand, the internal system doesn't check orientation except at power up. Then, if you can, I'd run TruePlay on it, assuming you have a spare iOS device.

2) No substantial information here on this, just make sure that the remote you're using is IR (InfraRed), as that is where the PLAYBAR would be looking for information about volume (in addition, of course, to the controller's wifi commands).

3)There's a setting in the controller app where you can turn on or off that "last play" functionality. Poke around in the settings.

Thanks, Airgetlam. Looks like the Roku remote is RF.

Ugh - I chose my reply as the best answer. Idiot.
Nah, not an idiot....it's an easy mistake to make :)

Yea, the RF issue is a hard one to get through, when other devices (like Sonos) are expecting a IR signal. I solved that issue by getting a Harmony Ultimate remote, which handles (I think....haven't looked at the specs recently) all three types of signal, Bluetooth, RF and IR (and maybe wifi?). Anyway, for me, life is easier with one remote to rule them all.
Just bought a TCL 49S517 series and having the same issue. I can get the sound to come through the playbar but cannot use the remote to control it. I went through the Roku support site and wanted to clarify that with this TV and Roku Ultra etc. devices with Enhanced Remotes they utilize both IR and WiFi simultaneously. I went through the Sonos app trying to recognize the remote in advance settings and it does recognize it as well as the volume up/down controls and the mute button. Unfortunately even though the Sonos app confirmed the remote was now configured when I tried using it was a no go still .... sigh.
Why don't you call Sonos to discuss it?