Answered

PLAYBAR SETUP

• 22 August 2018
  • 3 replies

N E W Playbar setup states cannot connect to my WIFI. I have tried a dozen times, even reset router. this is brand new out of the box. iphones, ipads, etc work in this living room. How sensitive is this playbar connection??? H E L P, so i dont have to return this unit to BEST BUY.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 August 2018, 20:18

You may want to call AT&T and ask them to log in to your wifi device, which will tell you. They should have showed you when they set it up, but I've had installers that didn't bother to show me how to log in to my device and look at the settings page.

Many of Sonos' devices were designed when 5Ghz wasn't a "thing", so some of them don't have the ability to use 5Ghz at all. Also, 5Ghz doesn't have the same range as 2.4Ghz, so Sonos (I suspect) has stuck with 2.4Ghz. But the point at which they made those decisions and now are certainly different, but they've tried to maintain as much comparability as they can.

There's 2 possibilities if the PLAYBAR does show up when hardwired to your router (and there's no reason that you can't move it temporarily for this process). One is that your network is only 5GHz, and two (much less likely IMHO) that there's a bad wifi card on your PLAYBAR. Not completely impossible, just extremely unlikely. I'd guess 99% chance of the first, not the second.

If it does show up when connected, I'd submit a system diagnostic and contact Sonos to discuss it. They'd be able to read in that diagnostic if in fact there is a failure, and probably be able to help you with the wifi as well.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What kind of wifi do you have? For instance, if it's only 5Ghz, then the PLAYBAR won't connect to it. Have you tried connecting your PLAYBAR to the router with an ethernet cable temporarily, in order to see if it's a hardware failure or not?
Hmm GHz. Not sure and what makes SONOS so particular ? Samsung TV , all apple products , Marantz AVR connects to ATT Uverse WiFi I have.

How can I tell ? Will try connecting playbar directly to router in other room.
You may want to call AT&T and ask them to log in to your wifi device, which will tell you. They should have showed you when they set it up, but I've had installers that didn't bother to show me how to log in to my device and look at the settings page.

Many of Sonos' devices were designed when 5Ghz wasn't a "thing", so some of them don't have the ability to use 5Ghz at all. Also, 5Ghz doesn't have the same range as 2.4Ghz, so Sonos (I suspect) has stuck with 2.4Ghz. But the point at which they made those decisions and now are certainly different, but they've tried to maintain as much comparability as they can.

There's 2 possibilities if the PLAYBAR does show up when hardwired to your router (and there's no reason that you can't move it temporarily for this process). One is that your network is only 5GHz, and two (much less likely IMHO) that there's a bad wifi card on your PLAYBAR. Not completely impossible, just extremely unlikely. I'd guess 99% chance of the first, not the second.

If it does show up when connected, I'd submit a system diagnostic and contact Sonos to discuss it. They'd be able to read in that diagnostic if in fact there is a failure, and probably be able to help you with the wifi as well.