Answered

Playbar lost in space

• 18 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Had a router bite the dust. Playbar still set to old SSID. Trying to set up playbar on new SSID.

Tried spoofing old SSID with same password. Didn't work because network?
iOS app setup fails right after joining the Sonos temp SSID
MacOS app, unbelievably, doesn't even allow you to proceed through the setup after instructions to press the two buttons on right side of playbar to begin temp SSID process.

On phone with support for over an hour. It was pretty disheartening when he said "Yeah, you can try to use the app that says it can fix the issue, but there's a 98% chance it's not going to work... so you need to get a 200 foot ethernet cable and plug the sonos directly into the router."

QUESTION: Will the iOS/ MacOS apps - ever - work to reconnect the playbar to the new SSID?
Or do I need to cut my losses, buy an ethernet cable, plug it in to my playbar in the living room, walk through the dining area and kitchen, then down a hallway, pull down the scary ceiling ladder, go up into the attic, navigate the minefield of my wife's Christmas decorations while straddling one ceiling joist to another, hopefully making it through to the middle of the house, then plug in the other end of the ethernet cable, THEN go through the setup (which, if you're keeping score at home, the 0 for 2 situation were in doesn't bode well), and then, hopefully, return or craigslist the 200 foot cable that I'LL NEVER NEED AGAIN.

Honestly, writing this all out has been wonderfully cathartic. But seriously, please help.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 February 2019, 04:58

Random thoughts:

If you'd set up the same SSID and password (and the same frequency, 2.4Ghz, 802.11 b/g), it should have just connected without any intervention from you

It sounds like you tried to re-set it up, instead, at which point your iOS app wouldn't connect. I have a sneaking suspicion that your network was only on 5Ghz, but that's just a guess, but in any case, if your speaker wasn't connected automatically with the old SSID and password, then yea, it wouldn't connect to the speaker without you connecting it to one speaker with an ethernet cable between the speaker and the router.

But I do have an alternate solution to suggest to you, without having to purchase a 200 foot ethernet cable. Which, by the way, I think I have...at least a 50 foot one, maybe 100 feet. Used it for another reason, but it has been occasionally helpful. But I digress.

Why not unplug your PLAYBAR from the power and the optical cable where it is now, and move it temporarily to where your router is, and plug it in to the router with a much shorter ethernet cable, in order to be able to provide the PLAYBAR with your new ethernet SSID and password?

Or, even better, do you have any other Sonos speakers? You could use any one of them to wire directly to the router....what you're doing in this process is setting up a SonosNet network, which all the Sonos speakers would automatically join. Then you can use the controller to "send" the new SSID and password to all the connected speakers. Once you've done that (and assuming it's a 2.4Ghz signal....) then you can disconnect whichever speaker you connected to the router, and all of them will have been sent the information, and remember it.

Yes, you can only do speaker setup using a current iOS app. They removed the setup capability from the desktop app several months ago, much to many people's unhappiness. But that iOS app needs to be connected to a router which is connected to at least one Sonos device, and all Sonos devices need to be "seen". All of the data concerning your Sonos system is stored at the speaker level, so if the speakers can't "see" your network, then there's no way to communicate to them what the new SSID is. That's why one speaker has to be connected to the router....it puts all of the in-range speakers on SonosNet, so that the new data can be communicated to them.

Hope this helps.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Random thoughts:

If you'd set up the same SSID and password (and the same frequency, 2.4Ghz, 802.11 b/g), it should have just connected without any intervention from you

It sounds like you tried to re-set it up, instead, at which point your iOS app wouldn't connect. I have a sneaking suspicion that your network was only on 5Ghz, but that's just a guess, but in any case, if your speaker wasn't connected automatically with the old SSID and password, then yea, it wouldn't connect to the speaker without you connecting it to one speaker with an ethernet cable between the speaker and the router.

But I do have an alternate solution to suggest to you, without having to purchase a 200 foot ethernet cable. Which, by the way, I think I have...at least a 50 foot one, maybe 100 feet. Used it for another reason, but it has been occasionally helpful. But I digress.

Why not unplug your PLAYBAR from the power and the optical cable where it is now, and move it temporarily to where your router is, and plug it in to the router with a much shorter ethernet cable, in order to be able to provide the PLAYBAR with your new ethernet SSID and password?

Or, even better, do you have any other Sonos speakers? You could use any one of them to wire directly to the router....what you're doing in this process is setting up a SonosNet network, which all the Sonos speakers would automatically join. Then you can use the controller to "send" the new SSID and password to all the connected speakers. Once you've done that (and assuming it's a 2.4Ghz signal....) then you can disconnect whichever speaker you connected to the router, and all of them will have been sent the information, and remember it.

Yes, you can only do speaker setup using a current iOS app. They removed the setup capability from the desktop app several months ago, much to many people's unhappiness. But that iOS app needs to be connected to a router which is connected to at least one Sonos device, and all Sonos devices need to be "seen". All of the data concerning your Sonos system is stored at the speaker level, so if the speakers can't "see" your network, then there's no way to communicate to them what the new SSID is. That's why one speaker has to be connected to the router....it puts all of the in-range speakers on SonosNet, so that the new data can be communicated to them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Speaker is mounted above a projector which makes removing super tedious. Only have the playbar. Admittedly, after walking out the distance I only need a 150 cable. Though the router had dual channel broadcast Im 99.99% sure it was on 2.4.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to help.

Dane
Dane,

Could you perhaps just factory reset the PlayBar and set it up again ... yes you will lose your favourites, playlists and music services etc. but if your anything like me, it would not be too much bother, as my main playlists are mostly created and saved in my 'streaming music providers' cloud service. Saves all the messing with moving things and running cables about the place.

Here is the link if you decide it’s an option that you are happy to consider...

Factory resetting a Sonos product
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why do you need a huge Ethernet cable? Move the speaker to next to the router to hardwire it and fix the problem, then once it is working move it back to the original location.
Why do you need a huge Ethernet cable? Move the speaker to next to the router to hardwire it and fix the problem, then once it is working move it back to the original location.

Because the playbar is michael boltened to the wall, 12 feet up, above a projector screen.

I get that there are alternate solutions to the problem. My issue is that the two simplest solutions offered in writing on the Sonos documentation, don't work.

If there is a plan already road mapped to remedy the SSID migration issues, I can wait and be lazy. If it's a false promise of a feature that will never actualize, I'd just like to know.

Thanks again for the responses.
If there is a plan already road mapped to remedy the SSID migration issues, I can wait and be lazy. If it's a false promise of a feature that will never actualize, I'd just like to know.

Thanks again for the responses.
I don’t think Sonos would comment on their roadmap, but would likely add your suggestion to a list somewhere. However, I think they are doing something about this. The reason I think that, is they are adding BLE Bluetooth Low Energy devices to their latest products and I think those things, coupled with Apple WAC (WiFi Access Configuration), will make initial setup and possibly switching wifi networks much easier in the future. It may not help you with your standalone PlayBar, but it’s possible that also owning one of the next generation Sonos speakers will allow you to quickly transfer your system to another router using the Sonos Controller App connected to the new WiFi network.

All said and done though, its currently simple to transfer Sonos speakers now over to a new router, but to do that they all need to be running on SonosNet with one device, like a Boost, or Play:1 etc. that you can wire directly to the LAN.

The easiest option in your case though, having an immovable PlayBar only, is going to be a factory reset, I think... or go buy a cheap Play:1 and plug it into your new router.
If cabling to the router is difficult the options are:
- clone the SSID/key of the old router into the new one (this should work *)
- get a cheap WiFi bridge, configure it for the new router's WiFi, and wire it to the Playbar (a travel router can often be configured as a client/bridge)
- factory reset the Playbar and start over (the nuclear option)

* If the Playbar is not connecting despite the SSID/key being cloned across from the old router, check that the new router's putting out a b/g-compatible 2.4GHz signal. Disable band steering. Also some routers will need Airtime Fairness disabled.