Playbar + HDMI Splitter

• 26 December 2013
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
So I got a Playbar for Xmas. My setup is 3-4 HDMI inputs into a pioneer receiver with 1 HDMI out to the TV which has no optical out. Obviously that's a problem. After attempting to get the optical on the receiver to work and failing I have optical running out of the back of the DirecTV Box. That won't work over the long run.

I bought product ID 10251on mono price.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have fixed the problem for whatever reason. If you've used this before and it has worked I'd like to know how you got it to work or that it does work the way I'd expect so I can continue to diagnose the problem as my receiver and not the Sonos or the mono price adapter.

Ok so now I'm considering another option but I don't want to get something and have it not work. I'm considering getting rid of the receiver entirely (its 5 years old) and getting a 4x1 HDMI switch with optical out. Will that work and is there one that someone can confirm will in fact work with the Playbar?

Thanks everyone!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Indeed it will. I bought the Monoprice 4x HDMI switch with Toslink out ($80) from Amazon and it works perfectly. Into it are HDMI connections for my TiVO, Apple TV, XBox One, and PS4, out of it comes one HDMI to the TV and one optical cable to the a soundbar.

Configured my Logitech Smart remote to change its inputs and I have 5.1 surround sound from all available sources and a great music system with my PLAYBAR, Sub, Connect:Amp and in-ceiling rear-surrounds, and 2 PLaY:1's in other parts of the house.

Love SONOS.
Userlevel 2
Coreyod -

Are you using the monoprice part 7974 switch?

I am having a problem with it sending audio out the toslink after I power everything down and then turn it back on. It's connected to my tivo and a panasonic tv and works if you hit the reset button on the switch, but that's a pain. Just wondering if I have a defective switch.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Coreyod -

Are you using the monoprice part 7974 switch?

I am having a problem with it sending audio out the toslink after I power everything down and then turn it back on. It's connected to my tivo and a panasonic tv and works if you hit the reset button on the switch, but that's a pain. Just wondering if I have a defective switch.

Similar issue with the 7974 switch in that when I power my TV up and the switch turns on automatically, it defaults to ARC and I can not get sound until I turn off the ARC feature. Any tips are helpful.
Using Beam to connect with a Project through a Pioneer receiver. Installed a HDMI splitter, can get picture but no sound. Sonos system works, plays music beautifully, but no sound from the receiver. Is there is setting in the Sonos controller?
Is the HDMI splitter ARC? I'd be betting on that being a potential issue.
No, the splitter is not ARC
I may have jumped to conclusions, on rereading your post, it's not clear where you have the HDMI splitter and where the Pioneer is.

Can you give a better explanation of how your system is set up?

If your Sonos is connected to the HDMI splitter, then it's definitely the ARC (Audio Return Channel) that isn't happening, so the Sonos isn't getting the data it needs to interpret sounds. But I'm not 100% sure that's what your issue is. More data is better 🙂
Hi Bruce

Have cable box connect to input on receiver, HDMI output from receiver to splitter. Projector has signal including sound, but nothing coming from Sonos.

Appreciate your input!

Stan
What is the Sonos connected to, and how?
Connected to the splitter via HDMI
There's the problem. The Beam is expecting that the HDMI connection is via ARC. Since your splitter doesn't have ARC, then HDMI signal being sent back to the the Beam doesn't have any audio in it. Does your splitter have an optical output? If so, you could connect your Beam via optical to the splitter instead.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. From your response, a splitter with optical should solve my problem?
Yes, it should. And sorry for the short hand, when I say ARC, I mean an ARC enabled HDMI connection. Which basically means it has the ability to pass audio back to a device.

But yes, a splitter with an optical output would work. There's lots of posts on these forums that link to various versions. I don't use one, so it's hard for me to recommend, but you're looking for something along the lines of this:

https://www.flexson.com/accessories/connectivity/flexson-3-input-hdmi-switch-audio-converter-for-sonos-playbar

Good luck!
Thank you again, you have been very helpful.