Playbar Ethernet Ports

Userlevel 2
hello! I am thinking of purchasing an OTA DVR called Channel Master DVR+ which requires an internet connection for the tv guide to function.
My Playbar is connected to my home network via WiFi (not directly connected to router with Ethernet cable) Can the Ethernet ports on the back of the Playbar be used to connect things to the internet (Apple Tv, a DVR ETC) even though the Playbar is not hardwired?

3 replies

Not if you're using WiFi Setup. The Ethernet ports on Sonos units can only be used to extend your network when the system operates in SonosNet mode.

If you wanted to use the PLAYBAR's Ethernet ports you'd need to wire a unit to your router: a BOOST perhaps. Note that even if you did so the bandwidth of SonosNet is not huge, but it's more than adequate for fetching an EPG.
Userlevel 2
I do have a boost connected to my router. So do you think it would work or would i be better off purchasing a WiFi dongle for the Channel Master DVR+

off topic a bit: i have monoprice HDMI Splitter to get dolby digital 5.1 anybody have any experience with SONOS and a Channel Master DVR+ and getting Dolby Digital etc. I have confirmed that the remote is IR not RF so the Playbar should be able to pass the tv codes etc (Playbar does not learn TV codes with RF remotes sadly)
SON0S wrote:

I do have a boost connected to my router.

In that case your PLAYBAR is not connected via WiFi. It's using SonosNet, and the Ethernet ports will be live. Use one of them and see how it works out. SonosNet will probably cope with an IPTV stream fine.

I have confirmed that the remote is IR not RF so the Playbar should be able to pass the tv codes etc (Playbar does not learn TV codes with RF remotes sadly)

I can't comment on that device, but PLAYBAR is pre-loaded with a substantial database of IR code patterns. Where it doesn't natively recognise the codes it'll run through a standard learning sequence. It only needs to understand volume up/down and mute.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings