Playbar + Denon AVR-X2300W

• 11 February 2019
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I'm planning on setting up a home theatre system (hopefully) composed of the following elements -
- Sony XF9005 55-inch TV
- Denon X2300W receiver (+ PS4, Nvidia Shield, a couple of other devices)
- Sonos Playbar
- 2x Sonos Play:1 as rear satellite speakers
- Epson projector (without optical connection)

I've run into some hiccups. First, there's no optical out on the receiver that can be plugged into the Playbar. Second, and more importantly, I'd like to use the Sonos speakers as audio for both the TV and the projector - basically just using an HDMI switch to flip between display options, and the console, Blu-Ray player etc coordinated through the amp. Before, using the amp and standard wired speakers, this was easy. With the Sonos equipment, though, I'm not sure how to do this or even if it's possible. Any advice? (I know Sonos is designed to run through a TV, but this isn't ideal in my case.)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Justin99

Would like to help. What model is the Epson projector?
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Would you consider a Beam over a Playbar? The Beam has HDMI, which your Denon also has. This might mean you can connect and switch everything via your Denon.
The projector is an EH-TW5350. Sorry, should have mentioned before.

A Beam is an option, sure, but I already have a Playbar which I'd like to try to work with if at all possible.
Would you consider a Beam over a Playbar? The Beam has HDMI, which your Denon also has. This might mean you can connect and switch everything via your Denon.
Beam requires HDMI-ARC. The Denon X2300W has ARC, but it's as a destination for audio returned by a TV, not as a source.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think you'll need an optical extractor. A device that can take the audio signal out of hdmi and then send that on to the playbar. I don't think a beam is really going to be help you anyway as it doesn't take an HDMI signal, it takes HDMI-ARC...not exactly the same thing. It's possible your receiver can handle that connection, but I doubt it, and it really wouldn't make the situation much better.

Also, what are you using the receiver for in this setup? It sounds like you're using it like an input switch, not actually powering any speakers on it's own. If that's the case, you might want to get an HDMI matrix, that will take multiple inputs and send to multiple outputs. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Matrix-FosPower-Switcher-Splitter-Optical/dp/B017RW073I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549898900&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+matrix+4x2

I can't recommend that unit specifically, but you get the idea. If you're wanting to use the amp to power some speakers along with Sonos speakers in the same room, that's not really a good idea. You might not have syncing issues, but it's unlikely to sound very good.
Hmmm. If this will work, it's exactly what I would need: a way to pipe different inputs (Shield, digital TV, PS4 etc) to different outputs, while at the same time being able to use the Playbar and satellite speakers for sound for both TV and projector. The amp would indeed not be needed to drive any speakers in this scenario.

To clarify, would the optical extractor and the HDMI matrix be the same device? The example you showed has an optical out and looks to be exactly what I would need.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

To clarify, would the optical extractor and the HDMI matrix be the same device? The example you showed has an optical out and looks to be exactly what I would need.

It can be, but I don't think it absolutely has to be. All in one would be 'cleaner' for sure, and probably cheaper overall. I did notice that some of these device have the optical output associated with HDMI out B, meaning that the optical connection is turned off if you select HDMI out A. You don't want that, make sure optical is on regardless of which HDMI output (A or B is selected).

And although it's not in your requirements, it looks like you can have both displays on at the same time, playing the same or different inputs.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Beam requires HDMI-ARC. The Denon X2300W has ARC, but it's as a destination for audio returned by a TV, not as a source.

I didn't google the manual, just an image of the back of the receiver to see the connections. It has 7 x HDMI in and 2 x HDMI out, marked as Monitor/Out with one of those labelled as ARC. I assumed that meant it could feed the Beam with whichever input was selected on the receiver. Sorry if I assumed wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Justin99

Attached is a diagram of how your setup might look using a switch similar to what was suggested by melvimbe. Lots of cables to run and positioning of components. This setup I don't believe will allow you to view sources simultaneously or different ones at the same time. It will allow you to connect speakers to your AV but as suggested I would not integrate them with Sonos in the same room. As I said this is just a guess and may not be a solution :?

Cheers!