Question

Playback issues. Need setup advice on Mac for computer audio w/ Sonos 5 & 3

• 25 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Hey there,
So I have been struggling for some time now to get a decent user experience with my Sonos setup.

I have a Sonos 5 and a Sonos 3 (not the newest Gen but the one before it)

What I want is quite simple.
I want to play audio from my Mac Pro (5,1 cheesegrater) through my speakers.

Right now I have a 1/4" cable that connects from my Mac Pro to my Sonos 5
I have the Sonos 3 in the room right next to my computer and Sonos 3 (really only 4 feet away separated by a wall but also there is a huge archway that is never close another 3 feet from that so the signal should never have to travel more than 10 ft!).

As it is now the Sonos 3 is always cutting out!
Crazy annoying and very disruptive.

I should also mention that I have tried this with Apple's Airport Extreme (which I no longer have) and now with the top of the line Netgear tri-band monster (which I currently have)

What is the best way to have seamless Audio from both speakers coming from my Mac? (preferably without buying expensive equipment) I do have a "bridge" which is not in play for what it is worth...

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My router is right next to my computer and 3 feet from my Sonos 5
When you say "a different wireless channel" what exactly do you mean?

WiFi can operate on different channels (frequencies) in its allotted chunk of radio spectrum. Your router will have selected what it thinks is the best one available, but sometimes they can get it wrong. By accessing the router settings you can configure it manually. It would be better to do so armed with the results of a WiFi scanner app to see which channels the neighbours are using. Alternatively Sonos Support can assist if you submit a diagnostic and post the number.

The reason I am not using the BRIDGE was because when I first set up the system (a couple of years ago) there wasn't a way to use it (BRIDGE) and also have mac system audio.

Sorry, but if someone told you that they were totally mistaken. The BRIDGE is a pure network component. What your Mac can and can't do with its audio is unrelated.

I should also point out I recently got a Synology NAS system which I am hoping to store my music library on... I am not sure if integration with Synology would open up any further possibilities (or limitations) on my simple set up.

It depends whether you have a library of your own music tracks. A NAS is the traditional way of storing a local library so that Sonos can play from it without having to keep a computer running.
Thanks for your quick reply ratty.

Yes it is in "standard setup"
My router is right next to my computer and 3 feet from my Sonos 5
When you say "a different wireless channel" what exactly do you mean?

The reason I am not using the BRIDGE was because when I first set up the system (a couple of years ago) there wasn't a way to use it (BRIDGE) and also have mac system audio. I know that things are constantly changing... is tha still the case and if not would it behoove me to use the BRIDGE.

I should also point out I recently got a Synology NAS system which I am hoping to store my music library on... I am not sure if integration with Synology would open up any further possibilities (or limitations) on my simple set up.
So your BRIDGE is not in use, and you have your Sonos system in 'Standard Setup', i.e. connected to your router's WiFi. It therefore doesn't matter how close together the PLAY:5 and :3 are. They'll be communicating via your router, however far away that is.

You WiFi could be suffering from interference. A different wireless channel might therefore help.

Alternatively change your Sonos Line-In compression setting to Compressed in Advanced Settings. It'll increase the delay and reduce the quality somewhat, but you may still find it acceptable.