Answered

Play laptop audio including youtube and iplayer

• 22 January 2019
  • 3 replies

I would like to play all audio out from my laptop through my Sonos Play 1. Including audio that comes from sources other than music played in my Sonos app, eg youtube, iplayer... everything. It seems crazy that this would not be possible.
I have tried the "Stream what you hear" app solution but this has a 2 second delay - useless for audio that goes with video. Can anyone advise on how to do this? I hope so or it's going back to the shop!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 22 January 2019, 16:52

Hi there, salpilk. If you are looking to bring audio from a computer to Sonos, you will not be able to do this with just a Play:1. In order to do so, you will need to use the Line-In feature that can be found on select Sonos devices. For instance, my computer is plugged directly into an Amp and feeds any other Sonos device in my household.

Let us know if you have any other questions!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Oh yes - I'm on Windows so I can't use airplay
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, salpilk. If you are looking to bring audio from a computer to Sonos, you will not be able to do this with just a Play:1. In order to do so, you will need to use the Line-In feature that can be found on select Sonos devices. For instance, my computer is plugged directly into an Amp and feeds any other Sonos device in my household.

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Note that the analog line in feature on Sonos devices incurs a ~70ms delay, which makes game play and movie watching a challenge at best, but is fine for listening to music.