Answered

Play Beam and Play 5

• 11 April 2019
  • 8 replies

I have a beam and a Play 5 and want to use one in Home Theatre. Any suggestions on which ones to use in which of the two rooms
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 April 2019, 03:42

Aha, that's not what I read in the original post. Glad I gave you the "right" information.

Now some other thoughts, which may or may not be useful. If it was me, I'd do a full 5.1 setup (Beam, 2 PLAY:1s, and a SUB) in the Home Theater...and I might even consider a PLAYBAR instead of a Beam for the more expansive soundstage), and do just the Beam in the living room. Of course, that's depending on how much time you spend in each.

I tried to do just a PLAYBAR in my bedroom where I have my second TV, but soon ended up with another full 5.1 setup. Sonos can be addictive 🙂
View original

8 replies

The Beam is designed to be connected to a TV, the PLAY:5 is not. It's that simple.
Thanks Bruce. Can I connect the Play 5 to TV tho or do I need to get another beam?
For what purpose, if you already have a Beam? Connect that to the TV, use the PLAY:5 for music in another room.

I think I'm not understanding your true question.

I'm going to extrapolate a bit, and hopefully answer some of your question, but I may be rambling on a bit.

You can always "group" two rooms in the Sonos ecosystem. If the source of the sound is coming through a soundbar (Beam, PLAYBASE, or PLAYBAR), then the sound will be delayed between the sound bar and the grouped room, by around 75ms.

If you have a pair of the same speakers (two PLAY:5s in your case), you could "bond" them as surround speakers, in which case they'd be carrying the surround portion of the audio, and not be delayed. There's technical reasons around this that I won't bore you with, but it does have to be a pair of the same type of Sonos speakers, or a Sonos Amp pushing your own passive speakers.

The PLAY:5 does have an analog input on the back of it, in the form of a 3.5mm (headphone size) jack. If you provide it a line level input from any device (such as a TV), then it will play that input....again with that 75ms delay I spoke of above. This is a software process that allows the system to buffer the sound so that it can be played in other rooms at the same time, and can not be changed.

I hope that answers what you were looking for, if not, please be a bit more specific in what you're asking, I don't want to feed you info that you don't care about 🙂
Rereading your question, do you have two TVs? Is that what you're asking about?
The original question was I have two TV's (one in home theatre and one in the living room) and I have 1 x beam and 1 x Play 5. I was wondering which to hook up to which TV. Your answer is very explanatory though... thanks. I think I may get another bar.
Aha, that's not what I read in the original post. Glad I gave you the "right" information.

Now some other thoughts, which may or may not be useful. If it was me, I'd do a full 5.1 setup (Beam, 2 PLAY:1s, and a SUB) in the Home Theater...and I might even consider a PLAYBAR instead of a Beam for the more expansive soundstage), and do just the Beam in the living room. Of course, that's depending on how much time you spend in each.

I tried to do just a PLAYBAR in my bedroom where I have my second TV, but soon ended up with another full 5.1 setup. Sonos can be addictive 🙂
Thanks. I'm not sure my budget stretches to the full 5.1 set up in the Home Theatre and its only a 4x5 room. The addiction is forming tho. 🙂
Took me a couple of years to do the full thing. Fortunately, it is modular 🙂