Question

Play 5 gen 1 vs Play 5 gen 2

• 2 November 2015
  • 24 replies

Hi;

"I'm new around here can you show me round?"

We are seriously considering buying a play 5 gen 1.

We have chosen the play 5 as our first Sonos appliance because we felt that this would be a good place to start our collection as it seemed to tick most boxes but we really
need to know some facts;

Will we have the ability to build as we go along?

Is it compatible with gen 2 add ons like playbar - play 1 & 3's- subwoofers etc... Plus future upgrades?

Will it also be synced with Trueplay?

Please help.

Thanks in advance
Dawn

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why not hold out 2 more weeks for the gen:2 ?

Yes, original play 5 works with trueplay.

Yes, all Sonos gear is compatible regardless the age. Same with firmware upgrades (although who can tell going forward)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
... And yes, you can build as you go along. I started with a play 3 and now have 1s, 3s, 5s, Playbar and sub ! I've also had a connect:amp and cr100 in the past but now swapped those out for Plays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Welcome to the community Dawn. As Nicka99 said, the gen1 will be fully compatible. The biggest things to be aware of, the old PLAY:5 will not be able to stereo pair with a new one (gen2), and it also can't bond with a PLAYBAR as part of a surround sound setup. It can group with all of our players, and will continue to be able to do so, the difference is not being able to make a right and left sided stereo pair. The gen1 will continue to be supported by us, and will get updates long into the future, but it does sound considerably different from the new one.

Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the new one, it's worth it.
The Gen 1 Play:5 cannot be used as surround speakers with the PlayBar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Gen:1
Will not act as surrounds with playbar
Has Headphone jack (mutes speaker when headphones attached)
Has 5 amplifiers and speakers

Gen:2
Will act as surrounds with Playbar
No Headphone jack
Has 6 ampifiers and speakers
Thank you for your answers - very helpful.
How long will the gen 1 be available? I have one and want the stereo partner. Thanks
It's already out of stock on a number of Sonos country websites, you'll probably need to search 3rd party resellers for anyone with stock left. I wouldn't hang around though.
Userlevel 7
If you are still looking for Play 5: Gen1's check this retailers on-line site (USA). I was in the store (Nebraska Furniture Mart) week of 11/16/15 and saw a few on the shelf. Here's the link: www.nfm.com
Badge +1
I've just bought a second-hand Play5: Gen 1 from eBay, and the seller has messaged me to say that I will need a SONOS Bridge to make it wireless. I don't really understand what that means - I thought the SONOS system was all about wireless. Could someone explain - in simple laymen's terms please! 🙂
I've just bought a second-hand Play5: Gen 1 from eBay, and the seller has messaged me to say that I will need a SONOS Bridge to make it wireless.
You don't need a BRIDGE.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2638/~/how-to-set-up-sonos%3A-standard-setup

Since the PLAY unit's pre-owned I strongly recommend you factory reset it before attempting setup.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/~/factory-resetting-a-sonos-product
Badge +1
Oh good! Thank you very much ratty.
I pretty pissed off...bought two Gen 1 Play 5 four and a half months ago.....THEN after I have my new speakers I see that announcement for the Gen 2 Play 5. I was slightly ticked off but now I'm really pissed off because the Gen1 Play can't be used with the Playbar to create Surround sound only the Gen 2 Play 5 can do that...So now I got a thousand dollars worth of speakers that won't work with surround setup....pissed to say the least.. Don't buy GEN1 Play 5 for any reason even if they're cheap....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Starbuck,

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately the original PLAY:5 didn't have the necessary hardware to pair with the PLAYBAR as a surround speaker. They didn't have 5 GHz cards in there. The gen 1 came out well before we were even looking at making a soundbar, so it wasn't designed with that in mind.

As a personal note, the PLAY:5 gen 2 is overwhelming for most surround applications. Personally I've never needed to use anything move than a pair of PLAY:1s as surround speakers. They're easier to mount and work great for surround speakers.

Let us know if we can help with any questions.
It would probably not have been such a piss off, but it way just a few "weeks" after buying the Gen 1 speakers that they announce the Gen 2 .. My living room is HUGE 30' x 30' with 12' ceilings, PLAY 1 would probably be too small........ I guess I'll have to use my pair of PLAY 5 in the garage..
@starbuck55. I can understand you being disappointed but there has to be an announcement at some point and therefore there has to be a day before the announcement, and people who buy just before the announcement. In my view Sonos were always absolutely clear that Play:1s and Play:3s could be used as surrounds but gen1 Play:5s could not. Your advice to others not to buy gen1 Play:5s at any price is poor advice. Most people don't want to use Play:5s as surround speakers (most people don't have a Playbar, for a start). As-new second hand gen1 Play:5s can be bought for half the price of a new gen2. For some people that's a great buy within their budget. It's still the excellent speaker it always was.
I read that Play 5 Gen 1 can´t be paired with PlayBar as a surround speaker, but can it be paired as a regular speaker or as an extension? The Play 5 was my starting point in Sonos since my country has very high prices and I took advantage of a clearance. I am thinking of buying some Play 1s and 3s, but still, don´t want to let the Play 5 out from my network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I read that Play 5 Gen 1 can´t be paired with PlayBar as a surround speaker, but can it be paired as a regular speaker or as an extension? The Play 5 was my starting point in Sonos since my country has very high prices and I took advantage of a clearance. I am thinking of buying some Play 1s and 3s, but still, don´t want to let the Play 5 out from my network.

Hi Unbrother,

The first generation PLAY:5 can be grouped with any other Sonos speaker, the PLAYBAR included, to play in unison. It does not, however, have a 5 GHz antenna, so it is unable to be used as a rear speaker for surround setups as they rely on 5 GHz communication.

The second generation PLAY:5 has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz antennas so it can be grouped with a PLAYBAR and it can also be used as a rear speaker in a surround setup.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I tried both 2xPlay 5 & 2xPlay 1 as surround in my 5.1 setup. Surprisingly Play 1 sounded much better than Play 5 for surround duties. I can hear even tiny background sound in play 1 & not in play 5. I sold one of my Play 5 gen2 & got 2 Play 1s for my 5.1 setup & used remaining Play 5 elsewhere.

Hi Starbuck,

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately the original PLAY:5 didn't have the necessary hardware to pair with the PLAYBAR as a surround speaker. They didn't have 5 GHz cards in there. The gen 1 came out well before we were even looking at making a soundbar, so it wasn't designed with that in mind.

As a personal note, the PLAY:5 gen 2 is overwhelming for most surround applications. Personally I've never needed to use anything move than a pair of PLAY:1s as surround speakers. They're easier to mount and work great for surround speakers.

Let us know if we can help with any questions.
Badge
ok so from reading above, is this correct:

Play5 Gen1 - i can Bond/Pair or connect with the Play as a std speaker

BUT CANNOT for surround sound?

i am just about to purchase 2 Play5 Gen1's as everyone is upgrading so taking the opportunity to fit out the house with Sonos, i have an existing Playbar so want to ensure i can use in a "group" and via same app etc.
You are correct - the gen1 5 units can either be stereo paired or play grouped as independent speakers. In either case the playbar can be added to the group, and all played via one app.
Badge
Thanks for confirming Kumar.
I have now purchased the 2 Gen1 Play5's ... my sonos collection is growing quickly
I bot a Play 5 less than 2 years ago. Recently it lost connection and I can’t get it restored. Anyone else having technical issues with Wi-Fi in a Play5?
There's been a small handful of similar reports, most people have contacted Sonos and figured out how to get replacements.

You can find information on how to reach them at the bottom of this page, under "Contact us".