Answered

Play 5 - Gen 1 - Connection

• 1 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

I have one of the early Play 5, Gen 1 units.

I haven’t used it since the original controller apps on PC and Android were updated.

The units still appear to work fine, powers up, i can even see it on my wifi when attempting to connect.

Unfortunately, unlike the original controller app, it seams nearly impossible to connect the original units. Which is a major fail on Sonos part, as these units weren’t and aren't cheap. 

I’ve spent nearly 2 hours trying to connect with the new app on my mobile and PC, with no luck. So thought i’d reach out here, as the last attempt. 

If anyone can assist or provide the old controller app softwear that would be greatly appreciated. 

At the moment, feels like i have a very expensive brick in my hands : ( 

Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 1 January 2020, 05:53

If the old controller App is the only option you are willing to consider I can’t help.

If you are willing to try other things you could try connecting it to Ethernet power-cycling and seeing if you can get it to pull an update over the wire.

If that doesn’t work contacting Sonos support directly with the serial number on the data plate, while it is wired, will probably let them force an update bypassing the old firmware.

The contact page had several direct support connection options, several open 24x7.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If the old controller App is the only option you are willing to consider I can’t help.

If you are willing to try other things you could try connecting it to Ethernet power-cycling and seeing if you can get it to pull an update over the wire.

If that doesn’t work contacting Sonos support directly with the serial number on the data plate, while it is wired, will probably let them force an update bypassing the old firmware.

The contact page had several direct support connection options, several open 24x7.

Hi Stanley_4,

I appreciate the response.

I’d be happy to try the ethernet update option. Would you be able to provide instructions? Or is it simply a matter of connecting the ethernet cable prior to powering up?

Thanks again.

Hi Stanley_4,

No need to reply.

Everything updated when I reconnected to the new app on the desktop, while the unit was connected to the ethernet cable, including the update to the wireless connection and mobile app. 

Looks like the updates have worked and the system is back working.

Thanks again for your support.