Question

Play 5 distant from BOOST

• 15 September 2020
  • 1 reply

I have a number of Sonos devices and have typically used a BOOST to connect them all.  I have one Play5 that is set up far from the BOOST  - over 100ft away through walls, etc in my barn.  When I try to play it it at times kicks out as the signal is not reliable.  

So I decided to put a mini switch in my barn area and plug the device in directly.  This created and STP loop as the PLAY5 was acting as a route back to my main network (not the wired connection) as part of the SonosNet.  Since it is 100Mbps I really don’t want this to be the path.  When I disconnected my BOOST from the Sonos system all devices ran through the PLAY5 in the barn.  Not what I am looking for.

Since I now have disconnected my BOOST and subsequently the PLAY5 I am letting everything run on my native wireless.  My question is if I install the BOOST in the barn will the all the devices in the house try to connect to this potentially making the system unreliable due to the same issues I ran into before - distance - or will only that PLAY5 connect and the rest run off of the native wireless?  One would think that Sonos would allow users to choose what wireless network the devices run on but I have only found where you can set up the network for the entire Sonos system.

I know the solution may be buy another BOOST and put one in the living room and one in the barn but it seems an expensive solution to the issue.  Also once I hook that up in the barn it again is going to act as the preferred path back to my main network.

Any help is appreciated.

T.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @tolbertt.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us about this.

So I decided to put a mini switch in my barn area and plug the device in directly.  This created and STP loop as the PLAY5 was acting as a route back to my main network (not the wired connection) as part of the SonosNet.  Since it is 100Mbps I really don’t want this to be the path.  When I disconnected my BOOST from the Sonos system all devices ran through the PLAY5 in the barn.  Not what I am looking for. as long as the Sonos Wifi is with in reach of any Sonos devices, they will prioritize Sonos mesh network over your local Wifi network. 

My question is if I install the BOOST in the barn will the all the devices in the house try to connect to this potentially making the system unreliable due to the same issues I ran into before - distance - or will only that PLAY5 connect and the rest run off of the native wireless?  One would think that Sonos would allow users to choose what wireless network the devices run on but I have only found where you can set up the network for the entire Sonos system. Since currently they have connected to the Sonos Net that the Play 5 generated (due to it being connected via ethernet to a network), they will re-connect to the Sonos Boost (as long as it is with in range) assuming it will be in range since they were able to re-connect via the Sonos Play 5’s Sonos net. 

I know the solution may be buy another BOOST and put one in the living room and one in the barn but it seems an expensive solution to the issue.  Also once I hook that up in the barn it again is going to act as the preferred path back to my main network. I’d like to recommend let the Sonos Boost be inside the house, connect the Sonos Boost to the router via ethernet cable (ethernet cable conenction first before connecting the SOnos boost to pwoer) then power cycle all the Sonos devices with in the house (except for the Sonos Play 5) then Once all of the Sonos devices has a solid white light. Connect the Sonos Play 5 to the switch via etherenet cable then plug into power. 

So I decided to put a mini switch in my barn area and plug the device in directly.  This created and STP loop as the PLAY5 was acting as a route back to my main network (not the wired connection) as part of the SonosNet.  If we can verify by submitting a diagnostic, we can check if the Play 5 is connecting via Sonos Net wirelessly or via wired connection. If the Play 5 connects via Sonos Net wirelessly even if it is connected via ethernet cable, the ethernet cable might be the issue (faulty ethernet cable) since the Sonos Play 5 should prioritize wired conenction over wireless since distance is quite the issue (connection to Sonos net inside the house).

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,