Answered

Play 1 speaker wall placement

• 14 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Do a paired set of Play 1 speakers have to be equidistant from the targeted listening area?
icon

Best answer by Chris 14 March 2018, 02:55

No - run trueplay do your tuning in general area you want to listen in and it should target that area.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No - run trueplay do your tuning in general area you want to listen in and it should target that area.
I am not sure that Trueplay can shift the stereo sweet spot around. But it is easy to check to see if it does so because if so, the stereo illusion will be missing in the usual equidistant from speakers spot - even Trueplay cannot do two sweet spots or expand the size of one.

A better way to deal with off centre listening to the stereo effect may be by using the balance controls to equalise sound levels heard from the two speakers at the off centre listening place and this may do a better job of sweet spot relocation than Trueplay.

Note also that equidistant isn't a precise need and becomes less precise the further away you are from the speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have two play ones point completely different ways at two different levels and after trueplay tuning it sound perfect in the center of my room.
Unfortunately, I have an android OS--TruePlay unavailable. I appreciate the feedback will follow Kumar'ssuggestion.
Have you compared this "perfect" to how a 1 pair, placed exactly as recommended for the creation of the stereo illusion in the brain, sounds in the resultant stereo sweet spot using appropriate recordings? Using the usual criteria for sound stage/imaging?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would recommend borrowing an iOS device and doing trueplay especially with play:1s. Your doing yourself a disservice and it can’t be hard to get hands temporarily on an iOS device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have plenty of Soeakers in plenty of arrangements and I know when my play:1s sound good.