Answered

Permanently link Sonos Connect input to certain speaker/room

Badge
  • KK_
  • Contributor I
  • 13 replies
Hi - prior search did not reveal an exact answer to my question:

I want to use my Sonos One as a TV speaker and bought a Connect on the aftermarket to get the analog audio into the Sonos system (and solely for that purpose - I don't care for the outputs). So far, I need to group the room of the Connect and that of the One every single time I want to listen to the TV audio (I sometimes switch input source). I understand that there can only be certain configurations of speakers per "room", but there should be some way to permanently link the Connect input to that One speaker, right?

I am somewhat reluctant to take "no" as an answer, as it seems to be such a straightforward issue in times of Sonos customers wanting to use Sonos speakers insted of own-wired systems...
Thanks!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 8 February 2019, 19:06

Go to More > Settings > Room Settings > (Connect room name) > Advanced Audio > Line-In. Set Autoplay to 'On' and select the name of the player you wish to be the default from the Autoplay Room menu.

View original

12 replies

Go to More > Settings > Room Settings > (Connect room name) > Advanced Audio > Line-In. Set Autoplay to 'On' and select the name of the player you wish to be the default from the Autoplay Room menu.
Badge
Wow! Thanks! I don't know why I did not see that. Thanks a lot!!
Badge
I don't like that I cannot hide the "room" the Connect is in :-/ It is a room without purpose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
KK_ wrote:

jgatie wrote:

Quick follow-up: Am right in the assumption that there is no way to get rid of the unused "room" of the Connect (as I only use its input, and route that input into another room?

This is correct. The Connect will always show up as a room in your Sonos app.
Badge
Thanks. Sorry found that out myself in another post and then edited my post... sorry you still saw it. Please add the functionality to hide it as a room! Would be highly appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
KK_ wrote:

Thanks. Sorry found that out myself in another post and then edited my post... sorry you still saw it. Please add the functionality to hide it as a room! Would be highly appreciated.

No problem at all. I'll send in a feature request for you.
Badge
Thanks for the feature request!
And I'm really not the only one wishing for it (and it shouldn't be hard to implement) -- https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/hide-connect-from-room-list-6792603
Best regards!
KK_ wrote:

I don't like that I cannot hide the "room" the Connect is in :-/ It is a room without purpose.

Because you are not using it for its main purpose. You are using a subsidiary feature of one Sonos device (Connect) in order to use another Sonos device (Play:1) for a purpose for which it was never designed. I can't see Sonos devoting a second of development time to this one, to be honest.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
It would be kinda cool if the Boost had audio inputs, which could then be selected by any other Sonos device. This would meet the OP's need and could also be a workaround for people trying to stream the sound from videos on their phones/tablets (although there might be some lag)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
John B wrote:

Because you are not using it for its main purpose. You are using a subsidiary feature of one Sonos device (Connect) in order to use another Sonos device (Play:1) for a purpose for which it was never designed. I can't see Sonos devoting a second of development time to this one, to be honest.

And although many things 'should be easy' they are often not when you actually start looking under the hood. One concern I'd have with this is whenever the user never needed to troubleshoot issues. Normally, when the Connect doesn't show up as a room, you know you have a wireless issues almost all the time. If the device was not visible as a room, you wouldn't be able to tell if there was some line-in related issue or wireless issue.

jnak wrote:

It would be kinda cool if the Boost had audio inputs, which could then be selected by any other Sonos device. This would meet the OP's need and could also be a workaround for people trying to stream the sound from videos on their phones/tablets (although there might be some lag)

That would go well beyond the Boost original purpose, and likely cause a price hike. But I do agree with you. It would be nice if there was a "Sonos Input" that had rca, optical, hdmi, airplay and Bluetooth available that could be assigned to another room. It would be particularly useful if it could wireless send DD 5.1 to a playbar/playbase/beam in a projector situation.
Badge
I find it somewhat troubling that it is currently not possible to get your PC sound into the Sonus system without any workaround. Let it be analog as I did it or via HDMI or Toskink as it would be possible with the new Sonos Amp - as I understand it, it wouldn’t be possible to get your PC sound onto a One in the same room as your PC is located. In other words - if you want your PC sound on Sonos, you have to use your own speakers with a Connect (or the new Amp), or a sound bar (the Beam), or a Play 5 (very large and expensive).

I agree that a Boost with inputs (or dedicated input device) would be nice, but also costly to develop (hardware). A simple visibility tweak in the app (we’re just talking about hiding a room...) would cater to the needs of me and some others. Oh well ;-)
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
melvimbe wrote:

That would go well beyond the Boost original purpose, and likely cause a price hike. But I do agree with you. It would be nice if there was a "Sonos Input" that had rca, optical, hdmi, airplay and Bluetooth available that could be assigned to another room. It would be particularly useful if it could wireless send DD 5.1 to a playbar/playbase/beam in a projector situation.

Oh absolutely it would change the nature of the Boost and probably not even replace what the Boost is for. I just picked the Boost because it's the only Sonos device that does not output any sound.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings