Answered

Passing speaker wire from inside to outside

• 8 July 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have an existing system that I have been very happy with it. I am about to add the Sonance outdoor speakers powered by a sonance amp linked to my existing system via Sonos Connect. I'll be using in-ground speakers with 14 gauge 4 wire in-ground speaker wire I'm pretty clear on how to set this up and really only have one technical challenge I am hoping others have solved and can provide some advice on.

My specific question - in a house with no basement or crawl space and limited attic access, what is the best way to get my speaker wires from my amp inside the house to the outside area where the speakers are buried? The good news is that all my equipment sits on an exterior wall inside the house and on the other side of this wall (i..e outside) is the perfect spot to begin running my speaker wires for the in ground speakers. So I just need to figure out the cleanest and most structurally sound way to pass those speaker wires from inside to outside.

Most of the videos I have found online involved using a basement or crawl space. Unfortunately, in Florida, most houses including mine are built on slabs. I considered running it to the attic space and then out through the soffit and then down the house and into the ground, but the problem there is the attic space will be very hard to get to and I really don't want to bring the wires out high and then have to bring them down to ground.

So I am looking for the correct way to pass a wire through the wall of my house using some sort of conduit or cable-way that I can install myself. The wall is drywall inside and hardieplank cement siding on the outside. I want it all to be sealed when done and also clean looking on both sides. Any tips or suggestions on the proper way to do this? The wire is rated for in ground and in wall use, and once I get it outside, I'm good with doing the rest, just need to get it there.

Thanks - Tony
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 8 July 2019, 07:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I use wall plates like these and a long drill bit to drill from inside to outside after checking for plumbing and wires. Drill the inside wall carefully, stop the drill, slide the bit in until it touches the outer wall, check that it is still square to the wall, drill the outside wall with very light pressure to reduce cracking. A dab of paintable caulk and they are sealed.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sterene-200-986BK-10-RG-6-Feed-Through-Bushing/dp/B002FYK1B2/ref=sr_1_99
Badge
Thanks, Stanley. That looks like it could work. Appreciate the response.
Just wanted to add that although it's understandable to want to drill your hole at ground level, I'd recommend doing it at least 2 feet off the ground. That way it will not make it easy for critters or water to get into your house. You can easily run the wire down the outside of the house with conduit and then paint to match the exterior. On hardieplank, it's barely noticeable.
Badge
Thanks - makes sense. My equipment will sit about 2.5 feet off the ground inside so I may just run the conduit at about 3 feet and then either staple and paint the wire outside or put in a section of conduit down to the ground. It's in the back of the house and there's already another cable there for a motorized screen, so shouldn't be too noticeable. Appreciate the response!

Tony
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If using conduit do use the inside trim I suggested and drill the same but then go outside and drill a larger hole the size of your conduit fittings and caulk that into the hole rather than using the press-in outside fitting I originally suggested.

1/2 inch paintable gray electrical conduit works very well for this.