Answered

Paired Symfonisk Nightstand Lamps Unable to Alarm Individually

Hi,

It’s surprising that a pair of nightstand table lamp alarm speakers, when paired as a Sonos stereo pair, are unable to beep as individual alarms.  When they are set as a stereo pair, you can only set the alarm to blast on both simultaneously.

I don’t want to wake up when my wife wakes up. She doesn’t want to get blasted out of bed in the morning when I wake up. Let us set our nightstand alarms separately please.

Perusing the forums, this question has been asked for various random Sonos pairs for like 6 years.  It’s wild that a product who’s primary function is as bedside lamps don’t support this after years of requests in various forms.

Please fix, thank you. The technology exists, you can do it!

(It took a lot for me to replace a Bose wave radio from 1997 with these)

icon

Best answer by Adam S 25 March 2020, 16:23

Hi @SunOS, thanks for the suggestion.

When Sonos players are paired together, the functionality of the two units become mirrored and both report to the network using multicast.

I completely understand why you would want to have alarm functionality on independent speakers even when those players are paired together.

Although I cannot confirm that this integration will be implemented into future builds of the Sonos app, I would be happy to pass this feedback alongto our development team.

I appreciate the feature requests as it allows our system to become more intuitive and any additional feedback is always welcomed.

View original

22 replies

I’m not sure you understand the definition of “stereo pair”.  A stereo track has two distinct channels, a left and a right.  Played together, they create the allusion of a directional soundstage, with the left signal playing on the left and the right signal playing on the right.  Therefore, there is no way to play music on a stereo pair without playing to both sides.

If you don’t want this, unpair them, and give them significant names (Bedroom - Wife, Bedroom - Husband), and set different alarms on each.  The sound will then be mono out of each side, and will allow you to play different alarms on each.

Hi jgatie, and thank you for the reply.  I know what a stereo pair is.  While the 2 lamps are paired in the app, I want to be able to designate one alarm to the left channel, and one alarm to the right channel.  I want them to remain in the stereo pair for playing music.

Right now, it’s assign an alarm to both or nothing. I’m just using the built in beep alarm, not line in or other.

You can’t do that.  Right now it is impossible for Sonos to switch from a paired room to a separate room on the fly.  Whether it becomes possible in S2 hardware/software coming in June, nobody knows.  

Right, I know- they need to fix it, this should not be difficult.  It’s surprising they actually released it like this. Symfonisk is my first Sonos.

If anyone at Sonos would like to chime in on whether we can look forward to this with the next software release, please do speak up.

The alarms are primarily used for playing music though, not the chime, so I don’t see how it’s surprising that the stereo pair can’t split up for your specific situation.    Really alarms are more of a add-on feature than the primary purpose of the speakers themselves. 

Here’s some ideas that may work for you.

• Separate the speakers into two separate rooms as jgatie suggested
  • put smart bulbs in the lamps and see if you can wake up by light instead of audio?
  • Use your individual phones for these wake up alarms.  Since your only using the chime, sound quality should not matter much.
  • Replace your lamp speakers with Sonos Ones.  Each speaker is a separate alexa voice assistant, so you can set an alarm through Alexa to have them play individually (I just tested this by creating separate timers on left and right speakers).

Personally, I wouldn’t be against the idea, and I can see how it would be useful.  I’m just not sure that it is an easy feature to add, or that it would be all that common with users.

Right, I know- they need to fix it, this should not be difficult.  It’s surprising they actually released it like this. Symfonisk is my first Sonos.

Not sure how you concluded it’s broken when it’s not a feature Sonos ever supported.  I also don’t know how you concluded it was easy.  Have you seen such a feature in any other stereo pair of speakers?

melvimbe, thank you for the reply.  Please call it a “missing feature” or a “broken feature” or the need for a “feature enhancement” or whatever you feel is appropriate.

Considering all the hard stuff the Sonos engineers have already figured out, playing a beep on the left side or the right side is the easy part.

You have to be kidding me. Somebody tagged “best answer” here a response that involves using a different product for 3 out of the 4 answers.  Then the 1 “solution” that doesn’t require just using other products involves degrading the Symfonisk’s basic audio quality.  Do you all think I’m stupid?  Don’t answer.

Left off the list of “solutions” was to write “Return to Sender” on the Ikea box, and plug my 1990s Bose Wave Radio back in. That alarm radio was quite an impressive piece of technology when it was new.

But I DO WANT the Sonos Symfonisk to work well because it’s a great overall product. Perhaps somebody with influence could get the alarm functionality on a developer or engineer’s prioritization list.  That’s all I’m really asking for here.

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @SunOS, thanks for the suggestion.

When Sonos players are paired together, the functionality of the two units become mirrored and both report to the network using multicast.

I completely understand why you would want to have alarm functionality on independent speakers even when those players are paired together.

Although I cannot confirm that this integration will be implemented into future builds of the Sonos app, I would be happy to pass this feedback alongto our development team.

I appreciate the feature requests as it allows our system to become more intuitive and any additional feedback is always welcomed.

Thank you Adam, you are the best answer!

I’m just spitballing here, since you do already have the ability to choose a specific audio source to playback for each alarm. I have a real easy solution if you all can make it available as a source to pick from.

Provide 2 “songs” (WAV files, streaming radio sources, however you need to do it) that I can choose from somehow.

The alarm “music” is a stereo source. 2 different WAVs. For one of them, the left channel beeps, while the right channel is silent. For the other, the left channel is silent, and the right channel beeps.  Call it in the alarm music options “Sonos Left Chime” and “Sonos Right Chime”.

There’s my poor man’s solution.  Easy peasy. I’m sure your team has a way better one!

Thanks again.

The alarm “music” is a stereo source. 2 different WAVs. For one of them, the left channel beeps, while the right channel is silent. For the other, the left channel is silent, and the right channel beeps.  Call it in the alarm music options “Sonos Left Chime” and “Sonos Right Chime”..

That is the easy part. However, the hard part is: a stereo pair is considered one ‘Sonos room’ as you can see in the Sonos app under “Room Settings”. It would require a separation of the stereo pair on the fly into standalone devices seconds before the alarm goes off.

Smilja, bzzzt, wrong, thanks for playing.  That’s the beauty of my easy/crappy solution.

It is a STEREO music source, with audio only playing on one side. Thus, the Sonos never needs to leave the stereo pair, both speakers do “play” the alarm at the same time, but the SOURCE STEREO AUDIO only has a tone playing on the left channel or right channel.

You ever listened to some genius on YouTube who only recorded on the left side or right side? Same idea. When playing in monaural you wouldn’t notice.

Thank you Adam, you are the best answer!

I’m just spitballing here, since you do already have the ability to choose a specific audio source to playback for each alarm. I have a real easy solution if you all can make it available as a source to pick from.

Provide 2 “songs” (WAV files, streaming radio sources, however you need to do it) that I can choose from somehow.

The alarm “music” is a stereo source. 2 different WAVs. For one of them, the left channel beeps, while the right channel is silent. For the other, the left channel is silent, and the right channel beeps.  Call it in the alarm music options “Sonos Left Chime” and “Sonos Right Chime”.

There’s my poor man’s solution.  Easy peasy. I’m sure your team has a way better one!

Thanks again.

Not a bad idea. This is something you could setup yourself without Sonos doing anything.  See if you can find a track from a streaming service or local library that only place on the left channel and create a Sonos playlist for it.  I was able to find some on Amazon by searching for ‘left channel’.  You can then create an alarm based on that, and then do the same for right channel.  The downside is that it will be hard to find something that sounds good for an alarm.  Also, if Sonos can’t access the playlist for whatever reason, it will resort to the chime playing on both speakers.

It's a trivial thing to create those files yourself, if that is your solution.  Just get a stereo chime track and edit out each side.  Then put them in your local library and index Sonos.  No need for Sonos to bloat any firmware by including those tracks for a decidedly fringe use.

Fringe use? Ha ha

Post them online jgatie, and please let us know where I and the others who have been asking for 6+ years can retrieve them from. Thank you for this!

Thanks melvimbe - I figure there are some out there already, if you have any good ones please post!  I’d really like to hit something from TuneIn or something readily available that doesn’t require modification

There are free chime downloads here:

http://soundbible.com/suggest.php?q=Chime&x=0&y=0

Edit them using any audio editor, such as the free Audacity app.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

And nobody but you has ever asked for this feature, as far as I can recall in my 12 years posting here.  If you can point to another post requesting this feature, could we havea link please?  Also , knock it off with the attitude!  People are trying to help you, despite your antagonistic responses.  Respect goes both ways.

Hi jgatie - at the top of this page, there’s a search box. That’s usually the first place I look before posting questions on forums. I do encourage using it to find similar topics.

Here’s one example:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/separate-bedside-alarms-from-a-play-1-stereo-pair-6238896

So, one other thread from 5 years ago?  That's not exactly refuting the "fringe" descriptor.  Anyway, you have your solution, given by people you have gone out of your way to antagonize.  No need to thank.

jgatie, you asked me for a link, and I gave you a link after a simple search. Now that’s not good enough for you? I’m not sure what you’re looking to prove here. I’m antagonizing?  Remind me who it was who told me that I didn’t understand what a “stereo pair” was in the very first response please.

Symfonisk is a pretty new product.  Ikea cannot stock them fast enough. I imagine Sonos will have other Symfonisk customers who sleep next to a partner, who desire each having a separate alarm.

A lot of people come here and don't understand stereo, we see them all the time.  It's no insult to explain what it is just in case.

But as I said, you got your solution.  If I were you, I'd be working on that rather than getting in a pissing match on the internet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

While the question seems understandeble if you keep seeing a bonded pair of Sonos devices as two separate speakers, I wonder if you would have asked for the same feature for a normal stereo microsystem (or your old Bose Wave Radio).

As I understand it, bonding speakers as a stereo set makes One of them a master and the other a slave. I can see that unbonding speakers just for alarms is not an easy programming task because it differs greatly from this set up.

As we have seen as a user you can work around this system, so good luck with this work around.