Answered

Outdoor TV to Sonos AMP in other room

• 10 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I'm having trouble getting my patio speakers connected to my tv through the Sonos Amp. Below is my set up.

I currently have two outdoor patio speakers connected to a Sonos Amp in my family room (they work great). I am trying to run the audio from my patio TV to the same Amp. I bought the audio balun/extender shown in the link below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HH1212W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hook my HDMI into the patio TV HDMI ARC input, then connect that to the extender. I then connect the extender (transmitter) to a Cat5 plug. The Cat 5 runs back through to the family room where the amp is.

I hook that Cat5 to the extender (receiver), and then plug another HDMI into the Sonos Amp. When doing this, the sonos amp can't seem to find the HDMI hook up so I'm sure there's something not connected properly.

Any suggestions or if I'm missing an additional piece please let me know. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by buzz 11 September 2021, 21:43

AMP should be connected as if it is the A/V receiver. Make sure that the TV is sending a supported format.

HDMI in general can be a pain in the neck. After you make a change in settings you may need to briefly interrupt the HDMI connection. At power up or establishing a connection the units negotiate with each other in an attempt to find common ground for audio and video formats. Simply making a change on a unit will not necessarily trigger the negotiation.

In some situations you may need to resort to using the Optical connection method to AMP.

Don’t Factory Reset anything without further consult because this will almost always complicate your situation.

View original

2 replies

The transmitter should be on the Amp side. ARC audio actually flows backwards than normal hdmi flow.  Try that, and make sure your balon is arc mode, and tv is set to send audio through ARC.

AMP should be connected as if it is the A/V receiver. Make sure that the TV is sending a supported format.

HDMI in general can be a pain in the neck. After you make a change in settings you may need to briefly interrupt the HDMI connection. At power up or establishing a connection the units negotiate with each other in an attempt to find common ground for audio and video formats. Simply making a change on a unit will not necessarily trigger the negotiation.

In some situations you may need to resort to using the Optical connection method to AMP.

Don’t Factory Reset anything without further consult because this will almost always complicate your situation.