Answered

Outdoor Speaker & TV Audio Question

• 11 August 2017
  • 5 replies

I am building a home and am going to start out with a very modest living room set up of PlayBar, Sub & either two Play:1's or two 3rd party speakers (with connect amp) as surrounds. I will also have two outdoor speakers over patio connected to connect amp. My primary question is, if the TV is wired into the PlayBar via digital optical, will I be able to play the tv sound outside? I understand there will be lag, but just hoping to be able to listen to sporting events while on the patio or in the yard. On that note, will I still be able to listen to the TV in 5.1 surround inside while the outside speakers are also playing the tv audio? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 11 August 2017, 15:40

Yes, the TV source can be played over any and all other Sonos units. All you need to do is group the outside 'Room' with the TV 'Room'. The TV will continue to play inside and the TV audio will be streamed outside. Grouping is a quick and easy process, just bring up the room selection screen, tap Group on the TV room, then select the rooms you wish to group with the TV, then Done.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes, the TV source can be played over any and all other Sonos units. All you need to do is group the outside 'Room' with the TV 'Room'. The TV will continue to play inside and the TV audio will be streamed outside. Grouping is a quick and easy process, just bring up the room selection screen, tap Group on the TV room, then select the rooms you wish to group with the TV, then Done.
That's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm. Thank you!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I 've done this setup several times before. I have notice though that it's not as satisfying as you may think, particularly with sporting events. The lag isn't an issue, but sports commentary is designed to go along with the video. So listening to tv without video can be difficult to follow since you can't see what's happened. Radio sports play by play, on the other hand, is more descriptive since the commentator knows you can't see what's go on. I find that I'd rather just have the radio play by play going on outside in most cases.
That makes sense. However, I will be able to see the TV from the patio, so if I find the need to glance up and see what they're referring to or screaming about, I should be able to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For me the angle to see the tv from outside isn't good, plus there is often a glare.