Answered

Optimal set up with old speakers

Badge
Hi All

I would be very grateful for some advice.

I have a PLAY:1 (in the dining room) and a PLAY:3 (in the sitting room). These were purchased around 2014. I realise the kit is older than the newly released products, and I will upgrade in a few years - but I would to make sure that I have the optimal set up with what I have.

Am I right in saying it's preferable to have a minimum of two PLAY:1 speakers in one room?
Is PLAY:3 enough for one room?
I have never done a Trueplay Tuning on either speaker. Should I?
Should the speakers be placed up high or low?

Any other tips or advice I would be very grateful!

With many, many thanks.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 January 2019, 16:28

The amount of speakers is upto you to fill your room with music, but a wider soundstage and stereo left/right channels, separated through using two speakers 'paired', is how many like to hear their music. The speakers should be around head height for your chosen seated position. I have mine just slightly below head height as that fits in fine with the furniture that I have in the room and I prefer that in any case.

I prefer my speakers in front of me rather than at the sides or behind for music audio, but sometimes people will position them as best they can depending on the plug sockets in the room too, particularly if running a power cable to them is going to be difficult.

If using a pair of speakers it’s best to sit equidistant in between them otherwise you may have to adjust the balance so the sound appears to be coming from between your ears, rather than to one side, or the other.

If using standalone speakers, I still prefer them in front of me and towards the centre of the room, with no obstructions.

Carpet, curtains and soft furnishings are good as they absorb sound rather than reflecting it around the place, like some hard plain surfaces can often do, sending it bouncing and echoing/distorting the audio around the room, but TruePlay Tuning via the Sonos App should greatly take care of some of that aspect.

I definitely recommend TruePlay tuning your speakers as that will optimise the sound for your particular chosen room.

Obviously that’s all my own personal opinion and I hope it helps.👍

View original

2 replies

The amount of speakers is upto you to fill your room with music, but a wider soundstage and stereo left/right channels, separated through using two speakers 'paired', is how many like to hear their music. The speakers should be around head height for your chosen seated position. I have mine just slightly below head height as that fits in fine with the furniture that I have in the room and I prefer that in any case.

I prefer my speakers in front of me rather than at the sides or behind for music audio, but sometimes people will position them as best they can depending on the plug sockets in the room too, particularly if running a power cable to them is going to be difficult.

If using a pair of speakers it’s best to sit equidistant in between them otherwise you may have to adjust the balance so the sound appears to be coming from between your ears, rather than to one side, or the other.

If using standalone speakers, I still prefer them in front of me and towards the centre of the room, with no obstructions.

Carpet, curtains and soft furnishings are good as they absorb sound rather than reflecting it around the place, like some hard plain surfaces can often do, sending it bouncing and echoing/distorting the audio around the room, but TruePlay Tuning via the Sonos App should greatly take care of some of that aspect.

I definitely recommend TruePlay tuning your speakers as that will optimise the sound for your particular chosen room.

Obviously that’s all my own personal opinion and I hope it helps.👍
Badge
That’s very helpful, thank you!!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings