Answered

One Mac can't see Sonos system, other one and iPhones can?

• 5 April 2021
  • 5 replies

so I have a system full of various Sonos product (2xP1, 1xMove, Playbar, sub +2x3 as surround, another 3 elsewhere) - I connect from a MBP running 10.12.6  + S2 fine and my iPhone 7 on iOS14 fine.
My MBP running 10.15.7 +S2 though says it can’t see my Sonos system - it’s on the same network, sitting right next to the other MBP which can see the system.
we have no firewalls operating.
This problem occurred (or rather I noticed it) after an engineer updated the firmware on our main router - it is now showing a standard and 5GHZ network - although everybody is still on the standard network.  Have done all the disconnection of router and devices, restart etc.
The only other thing of note is that the player does not show as being online when I login to my Sonos account - although it is and is visible playable in the system.
Any thoughts? Cheers! B
Diagnostic from 10.15.7 - cannot be sent
Diagnostic from 10.2.6 - 1340568246

icon

Best answer by Xander P 6 April 2021, 13:03

Got it, thanks for that - at this point I’d recommend getting in touch with our Support Team via either live chat or phone call to take a closer look at the system and perform some live troubleshooting.

Let us know how you get on!

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @fujitasummers, thanks for reaching out to the community!

Looks like you’re using an Apple wireless extender along with your main router, is that correct? And just to confirm, before the firmware on your router was updated, you didn’t have any problems connecting?

Would it be possible to connect a Sonos device directly to the main router via Ethernet cable? If so, are you then able to connect with the 10.15.7 MacBook Pro?

hi Xander

to be safe I now turned off the apple extender (no difference) and have plugged one of the SonosOne’s directly to the routers (now showing up as WM:0). 
the system still shows up on the controllers as before - but same problem on the 10.15.7 MBP

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Understood, thanks for trying that - you mentioned that you don’t have any firewalls active, are there any other security programs, or VPNs running?

If you use the Terminal app on your MacBook, are you able to ping any of the Sonos devices? You can find the IP address of one of your Sonos devices through the “About My System" menu - if you type for example “ping 192.168.1.121" in to Terminal and hit enter, does it return a success?

Understood, thanks for trying that - you mentioned that you don’t have any firewalls active, are there any other security programs, or VPNs running?

If you use the Terminal app on your MacBook, are you able to ping any of the Sonos devices? You can find the IP address of one of your Sonos devices through the “About My System" menu - if you type for example “ping 192.168.1.121" in to Terminal and hit enter, does it return a success?

yes I have the IP’s of most of the devices and they are returning pings through terminal (ping 192.168.1.121 and 192.168.1.125 for example are both a success)
we have no other VPNs or Firewalls running

I ping’d from the ‘problem’ Mac 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Got it, thanks for that - at this point I’d recommend getting in touch with our Support Team via either live chat or phone call to take a closer look at the system and perform some live troubleshooting.

Let us know how you get on!