Question

Older TV and optical cord

I have a 10+ year old Samsung TV that does not have an optical cord input but does have what I think are called RCA connectors...I am trying to use a Sonos Playbar that is working great with my Direct TV system (Playbar connected directly to the Direct TV receiver), but I want to use Apple TV which connects directly to my TV and does not have a connection to the Direct TV - hoping this makes sense. Is there a good way to connect the Apple TV to the Sonos Paybar through the TV RCA connectors?

9 replies

Badge +1
Can you not just connect the apple tv to the play bar using the optical cable?
paulrich wrote:

Can you not just connect the apple tv to the play bar using the optical cable?

If the OP has an older ATV then that would work, unfortunately the current ATV4 only has a HDMI output.
Badge +1
ah sorry i didn't realise i have the older one
I think something like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01HERN6EI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500317236&sr=1-3&keywords=analog+to+optical+converter
That being said, in that case you'd be losing all "surround" possibilities that you get with connecting the Playbar/Playbase directly to the Apple TV or Cable Box.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
westkona wrote:

I have a 10+ year old Samsung TV that does not have an optical cord input but does have what I think are called RCA connectors...I am trying to use a Sonos Playbar that is working great with my Direct TV system (Playbar connected directly to the Direct TV receiver), but I want to use Apple TV which connects directly to my TV and does not have a connection to the Direct TV - hoping this makes sense. Is there a good way to connect the Apple TV to the Sonos Paybar through the TV RCA connectors?

Out of curiousity, what is the Samsung model? Might have an idea for you if it's similar to my old one.

Thanks Airgetlam - I got that and an optical cord splitter and I think I just need to figure out all the various inputs. I appreciate your help...westkona!
Skelton wrote:

westkona wrote:

Out of curiousity, what is the Samsung model? Might have an idea for you if it's similar to my old one.

Skelton - it's a HLP4663WX/XAA - does that make sense?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)