Old ZP100's and CR100 unable to set up and update

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi there, so back in 2005, I bought 5 Sonos ZP100 zone players and a CR100 controller for the house I had at that time. I enjoyed them for years, fantastic equipment, but when we moved to a new house they went into storage and sat unused for a long while and were not updated.

I just moved into a new house and would like to get them up and running on the new wireless and home theater systems with my existing receivers and external speakers and subs. I downloaded the Sonos Controller App and tried to add the ZP100's but although the Controller can see they exist, and said they were added to the system as "Unknown", I couldn't update the software (Error 11, seriously out of date, which I understand.) The Controller App is telling me I need to add a Player to the system to be able to play music. There is no way to add them to the system as ZP100's, as the drop-down only includes the current Sonos products, so I added the ZP-100's as CONNECT:AMP's because that seemed like the closest thing to a ZP100. Should I have added them as something else, maybe a PLAY1? The Sonos App is telling me I can't use the system until I have a player connected. but instead they were added as "Unknown" on the Sonos App's "About Your System" as Associated ZP for my IP address.

I tried to Submit Diagnostics in response to a request from a Sonos tech, but it keeps telling me "Your diagnostic information could not be sent at this time."

I realize the CR100 is being phased out, but I would love to be able to use the ZP100's with my current equipment to have wireless music throughout the home. What would be the best way of getting my system up and running again? Do I need to buy a new CONNECT or other piece of equipment to be able to use my old ZP100's?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me, it will be greatly appreciated. I love the Sonos players and it would be a joy to use them again.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The cr100 has been obsoleted and will no longer function.

If the zp100 has been in storage for a while the firmware may be to old to update automatically. Your going to need to call Sonos support and have them manually update them to current release and you will be good.

Just use your phones/tablets as controllers vs the old cr100. Much more functionality.
The CP100 is indeed a dead duck so forget about that. The ZP100 should still work fine unless it has developed a fault. It probably is just too far out of date to update by itself. You could try wiring it to the router to see if it will update. But I suspect you will have to grt on the phone to Sonos Support and they van force an update on the player.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, Chris, I really appreciate your answer. I will get back in touch with Sonos support. Any other information on using the old equipment would be very helpful, thanks.
The CR100 controller is no longer supported by Sonos and does not work with v8.5 of the Sonos App, or above.

The ZP100 should still work though, but you may need to cable that zone player to your router and hard reset it and then try setting it up in 'boost mode' once it is setup, in the App (assuming it works okay), then try switching it from boost mode to wireless mode as explained here... that’s assiming you do not wish to leave it cabled to your LAN

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3319/~/switching-your-system-between-a-standard-and-boost-setup

Then you can remove the cable and move the ZP100 to wherever you wish to locate it.
Chris beat me to it!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, John, I will see if Sonos support can help me update the old equipment. I really appreciate your reply.
Chris beat me to it!

Yes, me too...!
First of all, there's been a temporary outage on the diagnostic upload facility. Nothing to do with your system.

As for your ZP100s, you can actually add them as anything and 'CONNECT:AMP' will do. The choice of model merely summons an illustrative picture.

At a guess, the 'Unknown' labels and the complaint that you need to add a functioning player to the system are all corollaries of the inability to update from an ancient firmware version, as highlighted by the Error 11. As noted you will need Sonos Support's phone assistance to get everything up and running again. They will most probably need to remote into your network via a computer to do so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But once they update you won’t have to call them again. You will then be up to date just like current units.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the detailed reply, Ken. I will try doing a hard reset of the ZP100's and then set them up in Boost mode, then switch to wireless. I appreciate your knowledgeable answer.
Thanks for the detailed reply, Ken. I will try doing a hard reset of the ZP100's and then set them up in Boost mode, then switch to wireless. I appreciate your knowledgeable answer.

Note Ratty's coment too, as he is far more knowledgeable than I, so if it doesn’t work in boost mode, you may need Sonos Support to remote to your LAN and do it manually ... let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ratty, thanks for the helpful information. I will try calling Sonos support to help me get the old units back up and running. I appreciate the thoughtful answer.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Ken, I will try them out in Boost mode and see how it goes. I appreciate the help.
'BOOST Setup' is just the classic SonosNet mode, which was of course all that existed back in the days you bought your system. One or more units had to be wired to the network. Indeed your CR100s could only work in that mode.

In recent years the so-called 'Standard Setup' -- otherwise known as WiFi or Station mode -- has allowed players to connect directly to a router's WiFi. One would imagine that your firmware could be old enough not to know about this connection mode at all.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, ratty, my ZP100's haven't been updated in a long time, so I imagine the firmware doesn't know about the Standard Setup. I appreciate all the helpful replies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos will get you going, my ZP-80s are happily chugging away here on 8.5 with the 8.5.1 controller software.

Did you apply for the CR-100 rebate?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Stanley, that's great to hear. I loved the old Sonos boxes when I got them back in 2005, and it will be wonderful to still be able to use them integrated with new technology today.

I haven't applied for the CR-100 rebate yet, but will definitely do so, thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Rebate - great way to add a Sonos One or Play:1 for cheap to your system.!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Chris, that's very true, thanks. I am excited to see how much better the technology has gotten over the years, and how well it can mesh together with the old system. Got to fill up the new house with music everywhere!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The old units and new units work exactly the same. The controller software continues updates and adding some functionality through firmware ..... but there is no difference at all between functionality of an old ZP100 and a new Connect:Amp.

Now - with the new generation (Sonos One is the only one we are sure is new generation) - there is some functionality differences that are coming to those (such as Airplay2 ability). But they will still be able to group and interact properly with zp100 etc.

Therefore, with that voucher I would highly recommend picking up a Sonos One speaker so you can assure yourself your sonos system will be fairly futureproof then.

Example: Sonos adds Airplay2 support later this year that only works with Sonos One. So then in ios app when you want to stream something to Sonos ... only the Sonos One will show as a device. BUT .... there is nothing to stop you from grouping the Sonos One to an older ZP100 so that then the ZP100 plays airplay via the Sonos One connection to it. Result - you can use the Sonos One to play Airplay2 to the ZP100. Having Sonos One adds then ability to your older units.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Chris, sounds like Sonos One will be perfect based on your recommendation. I will definitely get one.

My wife is a little concerned about the privacy issues of having Alexa built in, though, because she doesn't like the idea of having a speaker that is always listening in the house (although we both have cell phones that have Siri and OK Google listening for the sound of our voices anyway, so I think the privacy concerns are a little unwarranted.)

I understand that you can turn off the microphone on the Sonos One for privacy, but is there a way to install it without Alexa, and control it only through the Sonos App, or is Alexa functionality needed to use the Sonos One's features?
Alexa is entirely optional. You'd need to explicitly setup the Sonos-Alexa bridge during the installation process (or later on). Without it Alexa can't work. And without Alexa the One is just a regular Sonos player.

By the way, the microphone on the One can be switched off by a simple touch on the top. The LED is hardwired to the microphone circuit, so when the LED is off the mic is dead.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, Ratty, that helps clear everything up. I really appreciate your knowledgeable replies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes everything Ratty said is correct. You don’t have to setup Alexa and their is a hard wired microphone disable button on top if you want to but prefer to leave off most of the time.

Without Alexa it will essentially be a Play:1 Tone Gen2 (with the hardware inside for future upgrades).
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, Chris, sounds like it is still worth getting the Sonos One just to have the new hardware to future-proof my system. As I intend to be using this system for years to come, I will definitely pick one up.