"Old" Hardware to set up and control sonos

Maybe some of you can help with this issue - trying to set up 2 sonos play:1 in my appartement, but neither the android i have (older HTC device), nor the mac (os 10.7.5), are allowed to set up sonos hardware, because the software simply does not allow it anymore - any workarounds which are known?

Regards,
glibber

Then...
Is this for real? Sonos really forces users to buy new hardware because their "old" software does not ALLOW (yes ALLOW, not support, because it has nothing to do with ability, just with corporate stupidity) older PCs/Android/Mac devices to set up or control Sonos players?

If so, one question: are you fricking kidding me?

If there is no solution to this i will give back my brandnew devices and tell any and every person I know, to not use sonos. This is ridiculous...

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Huh? It costs a lot of money to support (no, not allow) multiple versions of software. It is support because Sonos has to make sure that their software works. If it doesn't, they have to fix it. It's very common for a company stop supporting software on older operating systems that relatively few customers would use. I don't see why this is surprising at all.

Seriously, I'd be surprised if you find any multiroom music system that will work with your older hardware.

The only workaround I can think of is to go out and buy a cheap modern tablet. Prime day is coming up, and I'd bet you can get one for around $30.
Userlevel 4
Badge +17
Or a friend with a newer mobile phone could pop round & set it up for you.
Then you might be able to operate with partially supported controllers.
Paulw123 wrote:

Or a friend with a newer mobile phone could pop round & set it up for you.
Then you might be able to operate with partially supported controllers.

That is actually a very nice comment on my, admittedly, very rash one. I managed to set it up with an old windows PC for now. But will need new phone to use it with it. For now Sonos only works from my Win7 PC (which is annoyingly far away).

melvimbe wrote:

Huh? It costs a lot of money to support (no, not allow) multiple versions of software. It is support because Sonos has to make sure that their software works. If it doesn't, they have to fix it. It's very common for a company stop supporting software on older operating systems that relatively few customers would use. I don't see why this is surprising at all.

This is simply not the truth. If code once worked, why would it change to work (if the firmware on the speaker does not change)? As example, my pc components work for years now without any updates to their drivers, so, why should this cost the company money? Also as many, also here on the forum, have pointed out repeatedly the app works perfectly fine on windows XP, which is ancient. Problem here is that "one gets the newest features" without being told or asked. If i want to use old software at my own risk, that should be my decision.
Agreed, this might be an apple issue - although also my android phone is not supported anymore.

All some people want is access to legacy apps - like, give us the old, not supported software, slap a disclaimer on them renouncing any responsibility and let people have fun. Is that hard? Or risky? I doubt it. So what is surprising is not that software which is outdated is not supported any longer, what is surprising is the complete removal of all access although you bought a product which does not work otherwise, with warranty nontheless.

melvimbe wrote:

The only workaround I can think of is to go out and buy a cheap modern tablet. Prime day is coming up, and I'd bet you can get one for around $30.

And this is where it leads to - I am forced to buy a new product - mostly in a hurry, since i want to use another product that i recently bought - just so i can use something I already paid for. And this treadmill just spins forever then.

In this case, fine - both devices (old phone and laptop) would have been replaced soon anyway - still it is just absurd how companies treat their customers nowadays - and most people just take the bullshit. (As for security concerns - it is a freaking speaker system; if you can hack the WiFi via this, then its poorly designed and should not be sold in the first place.

So my plea here would be that sonos gets its head out its **** and puts the old software on their servers again, so users are not shut out because they won't take part in this race for update bs.

Sincerely,
glibber
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
glibberClone wrote:

This is simply not the truth. If code once worked, why would it change to work (if the firmware on the speaker does not change)? As example, my pc components work for years now without any updates to their drivers, so, why should this cost the company money? Also as many, also here on the forum, have pointed out repeatedly the app works perfectly fine on windows XP, which is ancient. Problem here is that "one gets the newest features" without being told or asked. If i want to use old software at my own risk, that should be my decision.

The firmware is changing when new features get added. The speakers themselves connect to various music services and such. Airplay 2 itself doesn't use the Sonos controller (apps) at all,

I suppose that Sonos could have opted to keep apps (controllers) at a bare minimum, but that means not taking advantage of current OS features...which will not make customers happy.

glibberClone wrote:

Agreed, this might be an apple issue - although also my android phone is not supported anymore.

All some people want is access to legacy apps - like, give us the old, not supported software, slap a disclaimer on them renouncing any responsibility and let people have fun. Is that hard? Or risky? I doubt it. So what is surprising is not that software which is outdated is not supported any longer, what is surprising is the complete removal of all access although you bought a product which does not work otherwise, with warranty nontheless.

Understood, however, you're particular issue doesn't fit the scenario that you just described. You're wanting to install new play:1s (new firmware) with old controller software. That's not the same as wanting your current system to be left alone. So what you really want is a version of the software that works with the particular OS that you have (even though very few customers have that) yet still works with new Sonos equipment. How is that not asking Sonos to support multiple versions of the software?

Say Sonos did keep an archive of their old controller versions, as you wish. You then took a lot of fine making sure you had the right version, installed it...and it failed to add your play:1s. You wouldn't then be writing Sonos to fix the software?

glibberClone wrote:

[/quote=melvimble]

And this is where it leads to - I am forced to buy a new product - mostly in a hurry, since i want to use another product that i recently bought - just so i can use something I already paid for. And this treadmill just spins forever then.
[/quote]

Well, you could have just looked at the system requirements before you bought the play:1.

glibberClone wrote:

So my plea here would be that sonos gets its head out its **** and puts the old software on their servers again, so users are not shut out because they won't take part in this race for update bs.

I think you're overestimating the 'race for update'. Like most software companies, they're making software that's compatible with the vast majority of uses. If your versions of software were still heavily used, I've no doubt they'd be supported.
melvimbe wrote:

The firmware is changing when new features get added. The speakers themselves connect to various music services and such. Airplay 2 itself doesn't use the Sonos controller (apps) at all,

I suppose that Sonos could have opted to keep apps (controllers) at a bare minimum, but that means not taking advantage of current OS features...which will not make customers happy.

Exactly what i meant, what if i dont want or need the new features? Should be the consumers choice, no? I hate this forced "progress" (sonos is not alone in this).

melvimbe wrote:

Understood, however, you're particular issue doesn't fit the scenario that you just described. You're wanting to install new play:1s (new firmware) with old controller software. That's not the same as wanting your current system to be left alone. So what you really want is a version of the software that works with the particular OS that you have (even though very few customers have that) yet still works with new Sonos equipment. How is that not asking Sonos to support multiple versions of the software?

Say Sonos did keep an archive of their old controller versions, as you wish. You then took a lot of fine making sure you had the right version, installed it...and it failed to add your play:1s. You wouldn't then be writing Sonos to fix the software?

Not really, why would the software work for an old win xp then (with new firmware speakers)? Firmware would need to be backwards compatible then, but I think this should not be an issue, really it probably is.
My os is an old version, so the software exists - i can even find it on the sonos page, the description anyway - but i am not allowed to use it anymore. Btw i am hardly the only one, as a quick google search shows. I do realize that this minority (over all its probably a small minority) will not change the way a company does its support, but I think it would be easy to leave old software available for people how tinker - which are usually knowledgable users. Youre average customer won't go through all that trouble.

melvimbe wrote:

Well, you could have just looked at the system requirements before you bought the play:1.

True, i couldve - naive me thought that cannot be a possible problem. I actually never had such a problem before.

melvimbe wrote:

I think you're overestimating the 'race for update'. Like most software companies, they're making software that's compatible with the vast majority of uses. If your versions of software were still heavily used, I've no doubt they'd be supported.

Agreed, this is probably a minority issue, which is why I think it would not hurt sonos to make the software available, since its only a few experienced users (not sonos experienced, IT wise) that tinker around that much.

Again, I do understand the argument for new software. BUT i think it is overall bad practice (also from smartphone companies) to make software unavailable after some time. Usually they claim security is at risk - well...every intel chip has a design flaw, so...well I think the argument is most of the time a smokescreen. Especially since you can just dust off responsibility with disclaimers or terms of use.

Bottom line: i would appreciate the access, If not this will be future-me's problem, since I will upgrade my phone and laptop regardless.

Thanks for the discussion though!
glibber

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings