No surround sound in my setup with 2 IKEA speakers and Play 5

• 10 September 2019
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I bought 2 IKEA speakers to extend the sound in my room. This has already a Play 5. I thought I can add these IKEA speakers to the same room as the Play 5. But sadly it's not possible. After researching I understood that's possible to make a surround sound with the IKEA speakers and the Sonos Beam, Playbar or Playbase. If this is possible, why not on in combination with a Play 5? 🤯

I know I can group the speakers, but I use aux to get the sound from my tv to the Play 5. Every time I start my tv, I have to open the Sonos application on my phone and group them again. This is very annoying.

When I bought my first Sonos, I thought that te Sonos eco system is flexible and supports as much as possible. Now I bought two extra speakers and it's not possible to connect them to the one I already own. If you ask me, this is far from flexible and I'm very disappointed.

I hope there's an update very soon to fix this, or I have return my IKEA speakers 😔

8 replies

Unfortunately, the PLAY:5 does not have the ability to receive or interpret a Dolby Digital signal, which is required to support surround channels. The PLAY:5 is a stereo device. The line in input on it is merely stereo, and the chips inside it can only deal with a stereo signal.

You can certainly group the “rooms” together, but without a Sonos soundbar (Beam, PLAYBASE, or PLAYBAR) or Sonos Amp, which are designed to be connected to a TV and process that surround signal, you’re not going to get what you want.

I’m sorry not to have an easy solution for you.
Thanks for the clear explanation 👍🏻

Now I get why surround sound isn’t possible, but I still don’t get why it isn’t possible to set up a room with my 3 speakers in stereo sound. This should be possible.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Now I get why surround sound isn’t possible, but I still don’t get why it isn’t possible to set up a room with my 3 speakers in stereo sound. This should be possible.

Stereo is Left and Right audio... there is no 3rd channel.

Best bet is to create a stereo pair with the two IKEA speakers, and then group that with the Play:5.

Creating, Separating, and Placing a Stereo Pair

How to group rooms in the Sonos app
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Play:5 isn't setup for that either. You can bond it with another play:5 for a stereo pair, and add a sub, but you can't bond it with 2 ikeas. It's not a normal situation, and Sonos can't write the software and support every possible combination of speakers in a room that people may dream up.

To add to this, how exactly would you want 3 speakers in a stereo setup? 1 speaker play left channel while the other 2 play right? vice versa? 1 speaker is mono, the other stereo? Give the user the option?

There's actually more complications, particularly when you involve TV audio. I haven't even mentioned trueplay tuning. The point is that it's not just a matter of flipping a switching or something like that.
Hey Misfit,

That’s what I did, but that doesn’t solve my problem. When the tv starts, the Play 5 automatically start playing the sound of my tv trough aux. But I still have to open the Sonos app to get the same sound also on my IKEA speakers.

That’s why I want it all in one room and not in separate rooms and group them.

The Play:5 isn't setup for that either. You can bond it with another play:5 for a stereo pair, and add a sub, but you can't bond it with 2 ikeas. It's not a normal situation, and Sonos can't write the software and support every possible combination of speakers in a room that people may dream up.

To add to this, how exactly would you want 3 speakers in a stereo setup? 1 speaker play left channel while the other 2 play right? vice versa? 1 speaker is mono, the other stereo? Give the user the option?

There's actually more complications, particularly when you involve TV audio. I haven't even mentioned trueplay tuning. The point is that it's not just a matter of flipping a switching or something like that.

I get it, but what I want is already there. When I group 2 rooms, I get it. So it should be possible in one room in my opinion.

The Play 5 could do it’s normal thing and the 2 Sonos speakers are a stereo pear. And trueplay is still possible. First the Play 5 and later the IKEA pear.

But I understand now it’s not possible and I don’t think my wishes are going to be fulfilled. So I think I have to return my IKEA speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@massop Look at the room settings for your play:5. You might be able to tell it to autoplay to the play:5 and ikea's when aux audio is sensed. Not sure if you can list more than one room though.

I realized that this is pretty much what you asked for initially, but I think mentioned surround sound threw us off track.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080#autoplay
@massop Look at the room settings for your play:5. You might be able to tell it to autoplay to the play:5 and ikea's when aux audio is sensed. Not sure if you can list more than one room though.

I realized that this is pretty much what you asked for initially, but I think mentioned surround sound threw us off track.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080#autoplay

Nice, this is what I want 🙏🏻