Answered

no sounds output on Sony KDL-40EX720

Badge

I just bought a Sonos Arc soundbar. I connected seamlessly to the network. When I connect it to the TV, the TV says “Sound System Active and switches to that output, but no sound comes out of the soundbar. The TV is approximately from 2011, it has an HDMI Arc Port, it does have Sonos Arc listed among HDMI devices.

It has the latest firmware form 2014, Sonos has the latest update too. I tried the disconnect/reconnect steps, set the audio format to PCM. I normally use an android TV box, but just to make sure that wasn’t the culprit, I disconnected it and plugged the antenna cable straight into the TV, still no luck.

The connection within the Sonos app to the TV fails, which is probably the reason for the issue but I don’t know how to fix that...

Any thoughts on what else I can try?

Thanks,

Gaetano.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 March 2021, 21:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge

Your TV is from 2011. I’m 99.99% sure it won’t pass through Dolby Atmos audio from any internal apps or external devices.

If your HDMI ARC port actually worked, I would have recommended getting the HDFury Arcana if you want Dolby Atmos audio using your current TV. https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Just wondering, could I plug the HDMI output of my android TV box (4K compatible) in the HDFury Arcana input and connect the regular HDMI output to the TV while I connect the HDMI-eArc output to the soundbar? Passing through two boxes is asking for trouble, but this would be way cheaper than buying a new TV…

According to this article, it should work, provided my android TV has the right output capability. I cannot find detailed specs for the box (Vodafone TV), except it does support 4K Chromecast - does that make it an eArc output that could plug into the HDFury?

Right now, I am able to turn the Vodafone box off with the Sonos Google assistant, that sounds like Arc functionality right? but does the 4K capability make it an eArc-capable box and make it worth getting the HDFury?

Userlevel 7

Yes, the Vodafone would connect to the Arcana’s HDMI IN port. The TV would connect from the TV’s HDMI ARC port to the Arcana’s HDMI OUT port. The Sonos Arc would connect to the Arcana’s eARC OUT port.

But of course none of this will work if your HDMI ARC port is fried on your TV.

Does the Vodafone support Dolby Atmos audio?

Badge

Yes, the Vodafone would connect to the Arcana’s HDMI IN port. The TV would connect from the TV’s HDMI ARC port to the Arcana’s HDMI OUT port. The Sonos Arc would connect to the Arcana’s eARC OUT port.

But of course none of this will work if your HDMI ARC port is fried on your TV.

Does the Vodafone support Dolby Atmos audio?

my apologies, I was sure I had responded to this but apparently not…

The vodafone box support chromecast 4k and can be turned on and off by Sonos, so this should make it at least hdmi-arc capable, and  hence Atmos capable from what i have read.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that the HDfury Arcana box had an HDMI output that would plug into any HDMI port, granted, it won’t have Arc capability, i.e. I cannot turn it on an off with the Sonos bar, but it would display image in 2K quality. Is that a correct assumption?

Then the eArc-out  port of the HDfury would plug into the Sonos-Arc and deliver maximum Atmos output. I am referring to the HDfury Integral which does split the signal and downscale the video to 2K video for older TV’s. It is quite expensive, so I am still pondering the purchase of a new TV… as mine is at least 10 years old...

For the clarity, my HDMI-Arc port is not completely fried, it does display video and sound from any source, it just won’t detect the Sonos-Arc, while all other HDMI ports will “see/recognize” the Sonos Arc but not allow any connection.

So it’s not the HDMI input that is fried, it is the ARC circuitry in the TV, which creates and sends the signal out to the Arc, that appears to be non functional. 

The HD Fury device would indeed be an ideal solution, as GuitarSuperstar says. Or, a repair of that TV, or even a replacement TV. 

Badge

So it’s not the HDMI input that is fried, it is the ARC circuitry in the TV, which creates and sends the signal out to the Arc, that appears to be non functional. 

The HD Fury device would indeed be an ideal solution, as GuitarSuperstar says. Or, a repair of that TV, or even a replacement TV. 

indeed, it’s all a matter of evaluating the most adequate choice for a TV that is 10 years old…

The repair, well, the board is shipping from the US for $180+ shipping cost seems more cost effective if I can repair myself, which doesn’t seem too complicated for someone who has built his own computers for the past 30 years, but how long will the rest of the old lady live…

All things considered, I will buy an HDfury Arcana because it seems it connects to ANY HDMI port to transmit the video signal, and when time comes to replace the TV, the HDFury may still be needed to solve lip sync issues, so it’s not wasted. Worst case, if there is no lip sync issues, I’ll sell the HDFury at that time.

Granted, without the ARC circuit working, I won’t be able to turn the TV on and off with the Google assistant, but that is a minor problem, just as long as I can get the video signal through to the TV and get Atmos out of the Sonos Arc, I’m happy...