Question

No need for Chromecast with CONNECT?

Badge
Stupid questions maybe, and yes, I could just try connect myself maybe, but anyway!
Using olf existing hifi in one room, Onkyo SR-605 with B&W 5-1 surround in our livingroom. Have used a Chromecast to listen to Spotify in this setup.
Purchased CONNECT and 2 pcs PLAY:1 yesterday, to be placed in another room, we can call it "the library". Works fine, using the SONOS app with Spotify, and transmitting "old hifi" sound (for example CD player (yes, I am old!)) via a "Zone 2" function on the livingroom amplifier.

Now my questions, since I cannot find the answer easily on this page or SONOS support:
1. Can I use the Line Out on my CONNECT in to my old amplifier, and will not need the Chromecast for Spotify anymore?
2. The optical connection on my CONNECT, is that another option to go from the CONNECT to my old amplifier? Or is the optical connection on the CONNECT only a line in to the CONNECT?

/The mechanical engineer 😉

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

To what and how have you wired the Connect you bought yesterday? I am not clear on this, but in general:
Yes to both questions.
Badge
Hi, thanks for quick reply!
The CONNECT only uses its Line In, from a Line Out on the Onkyo receiver.
The Onkyo then has the input from a CD player, a PS3 console, a TV and latest, from a Chromecast via an optical cable (here was my "old" Spotify source).

I guess I can use the Line Out from the CONNECT backpanel and wire it to any free input (for example, the "Tape" input) on the Onkyo, and thereby be able to stream from CONNECT also into my "old" hifi system? (Not only stream from the CONNECT to my PLAY1's.)
Finally, the Chromecast will be obsolete in my "old" system?

I guess I can use the Line Out from the CONNECT backpanel and wire it to any free input (for example, the "Tape" input) on the Onkyo, and thereby be able to stream from CONNECT also into my "old" hifi system? (Not only stream from the CONNECT to my PLAY1's.)
Finally, the Chromecast will be obsolete in my "old" system?

Yes, to both. Remember to select the required input on the Onkyo, the one to which the Connect is wired, to do this. And if the Onkyo has a phono input, do NOT use that.
Yes, Chromecast will be obsolete for Spotify, but it may have other uses for service that it can do that Sonos cannot yet.
Badge
Cause phono input has a different amplifier level, right?
Thanks, will try to put the cables together later today!:D

The optical connection on the CONNECT, is that both Line In/Line Out communication?

Edit: Stupid... "When everything else fails, read the instructions"... Yes, the optical connection can be used to plug in from my CONNECT to my old amplifier. Clearly stated in the specifications on the product description!
Cause phono input has a different amplifier level, right?

The optical connection on the CONNECT, is that both Line In/Line Out communication?

Correct. And no, optical is only line out.
Badge
Hmm. Does not work "just like that". I unplugged the optical cable from the Chromecast into the amplifier, where I use the channel "Tape" as selection of input. Plugged in an optical cable from the CONNECT into the same position in the amplifier as the Chromecast used, same selection of input, but no sound. Think I need to find out where in the Sonos app to direct the output from the CONNECT, to the "room"/location of my old equipment. Will get back when I have figured out how...
There is nothing to be done except see to the volume levels on Connect and the amp, if the Connect on variable level and is seen to be playing music in the app. And check cabling integrity - are you sure the tape input on the amp is optical and not analog?
Badge
Thanks again, you are kind and patient!
I just swapped the optical cable from the Chromecast with another optical cable from the CONNECT, using the same input on the amplifier. That is why I get confused it did not work. In the Sonos app, the music is playing and can be directed to the PLAY:1 speakers, but not directed to the old equipment. Must be something in the Sonos app that needs some setup.
If you see music playing when you select Connect in the app, there is nothing more to be done in the app. What is needed is for the connect output to be wired to the amp input, that input selected on the amp, and volume level set via the Connect and the amp.

I just swapped the optical cable from the Chromecast with another optical cable from the CONNECT, using the same input on the amplifier.

Also note that the Chromecast has one output socket for both analog and optical. Are you sure your cable and the input jack on the amp that you are using is optical? If not, you need a stereo RCA analog cable and use the analog outputs of Connect.
Badge

I just swapped the optical cable from the Chromecast with another optical cable from the CONNECT, using the same input on the amplifier.

Also note that the Chromecast has one output socket for both analog and optical. Are you sure your cable and the input jack on the amp that you are using is optical? If not, you need a stereo RCA analog cable and use the analog outputs of Connect.

Yes, from the Chromecast I am using a mini-TOSLINK-to-TOSLINK cable.

Quote above is where I don't follow you, and what may be the source of the problem, The tape input you refer to is not optical. It needs to be connected to the analog out on the Connect, via stereo RCA cables, that the tape input selected for play on what looks like a receiver with complex controls that need to be correctly used.

In any case, I suggest this route since the optical one, for some reason, does not seem to be working. All it will need is a stereo RCA cable, that may even be free with the Connect, in the box.

And make sure that Connect is set at volume at about 50% for starters, has not been muted, and that the Onkyo volume is also set above minimum and the correct zone selected.
Badge
Hi again, and yes, I will try RCA cables later.
Not possible for you to know, but on my Onkyo amplifier I can assign the Tape input button to use one of the two optical connections on the backpanel. And, after all, the Chromecast plugged into exactly the same optical connection, using Tape button, works. Strange!
This is why I suspect that there is some setting of the CONNECT in the app, that I have missed to set up. Like there is no signal going out from the optical connection on my CONNECT. Or that the optical TOSLINK cable i am using, has some kind of damage.
Thanks again, this is not critically life threatening to me, just confusing! ?
Let me see if I can reduce the confusion!

There are two distinct ways in which you could use the Connect here.

1. Use an output connection on the Connect to a suitable input on your receiver, This effectively makes the receiver a Sonos speaker, so that you can play the same sources as you can through your Play:1s, e.g. any streaming services you subscribe to, Radio by TuneIn, music stored on a smartphone etc. This tape in / optical thing sounds a bit odd, but just as an experiment maybe you should try hooking an RCA from the Connect to RCA on the receiver (e.g CD or Aux input). The Chromecast has no role in this.

2. Use the line-in on the Sonos Connect to pick up whatever is being played on your receiver (e.g. through the Chromecast) and play it on the other Sonos speakers in your system. Typically for this you would use something like a "tape rec" or "tape out" on the receiver for this, although the receiver may have some other form of audio out you could use.

Does that help?

This may be of use:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/~/using-line-in-on-sonos
Hi again, and yes, I will try RCA cables later.
. And, after all, the Chromecast plugged into exactly the same optical connection, using Tape button, works. Strange!
This is why I suspect that there is some setting of the CONNECT in the app, that I have missed to set up. Like there is no signal going out from the optical connection on my CONNECT. Or that the optical TOSLINK cable i am using, has some kind of damage.

Given all the above, trying RCA is one way to eliminate possible suspects, which, as you have also pointed out are:
1. A problem with the optical jack on the Connect, because of some defect causing what you have said above.
2. A problem with the optical cable you are using.
There is no setting in the app; once the Connect is seen to be playing in the app and is not muted, the amp must get the signal from it unless there are the two problems above, seeing that Chromecast works.
One other thought. I have seen it suggested that having the Connect line out level set to "variable" can occasionally cause problems of "volume clash" so try it on "fixed" if nothing else works. (Although I run with "variable", have no problem and prefer it, so that would just hopefully be something to quickly eliminate.)
Badge
Let me see if I can reduce the confusion!

There are two distinct ways in which you could use the Connect here.

1. Use an output connection on the Connect to a suitable input on your receiver, This effectively makes the receiver a Sonos speaker, so that you can play the same sources as you can through your Play:1s, e.g. any streaming services you subscribe to, Radio by TuneIn, music stored on a smartphone etc. This tape in / optical thing sounds a bit odd, but just as an experiment maybe you should try hooking an RCA from the Connect to RCA on the receiver (e.g CD or Aux input). The Chromecast has no role in this.

2. Use the line-in on the Sonos Connect to pick up whatever is being played on your receiver (e.g. through the Chromecast) and play it on the other Sonos speakers in your system. Typically for this you would use something like a "tape rec" or "tape out" on the receiver for this, although the receiver may have some other form of audio out you could use.

Does that help?

Thanks!
#1: Yes, sure, I just figured it would be a quick/simple solution to use the optical input / Tape since the receiver was already set up like this, for the Chromecast. Will try the RCA soon!

#2: No problem to get the SONOS to pick up the sound from my receiver, for example I can link my CD player via the receiver and out through the PLAY:1 speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
The optical out should work fine from the Connect. If it works from the Chromecast then it should work from the Connect, if all you have done is remove it from the back of the Chromecast and stuck it in the back of the Connect. In your Sonos App, what is the Connect called? When you select it, what is it playing? And what is the volume level set as?
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Oh, one other thing I haven't notice on this thread, but it may be irrelevant as I don't know a thing about Chromecast:
Spotify needs a paid version to work through Sonos direct - the free version will not do it. I understand that this is a Spotify requirement, not a Sonos one.
Badge
The optical out should work fine from the Connect. If it works from the Chromecast then it should work from the Connect, if all you have done is remove it from the back of the Chromecast and stuck it in the back of the Connect. In your Sonos App, what is the Connect called? When you select it, what is it playing? And what is the volume level set as?

No, from the Chromecast, the cable needed is mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK, from the CONNECT it should be TOSLINK to TOSLINK.
The CONNECT is simply called "Livingroom" in the Sonos app. I have 2 rooms: "Library" with the 2 PLAY:1 units.
When I select the CONNECT, I play tunes from Spotify.
Volume level set as Fixed.

Hmm, I should not post here anymore until I have tested the RCA connection or the TOSLINK-TOSLINK cable itself. Thanks for a while, all you helpful people!
Badge
Oh, one other thing I haven't notice on this thread, but it may be irrelevant as I don't know a thing about Chromecast:
Spotify needs a paid version to work through Sonos direct - the free version will not do it. I understand that this is a Spotify requirement, not a Sonos one.

Yes, I have the full/paid Spotify version.
Badge
After not caring about this issue for some weeks, I found that started to work, as initially installed!
With optical line out from the Connect, into my receiver's optical line in, sourced to the "Tape" button. Cannot tell why it did not work from the start, now it does without any changes, case closed! Thanks all friendly helpers out there, anyway!